See that flag of white fluttering in the breeze so proud.
Against the ancient sky, held above a serene and patient crowd.
The soldiers magnificent in mien and dress, their general lifts their hearts with his blazing sword,
Exhortations of honor and pride fill their breasts as they watch the advancing horde.
How their eyes gleam in the sun without thought of retreat, their voices rise in unison as they lift armor laden feet.
Under their banner on high, each would be glad to die.
See now that flying crimson cloth, drawing ever near to the enemy's path.
Over soldiers as stout, in a breeze as soft, gently fanning the flames of wrath.
Has ever their loyalty waned? To their captain they roar in denial.
Will ever their fervor be tamed? Again they cry out, eager for their ultimate trial
How their spirits yearn for glory while their arms flash from sheaths, inspired by ancient stories while their sullen families weep.
Each one happy to die, under their colors on high.
See those proud and simple flags, laid low as the evening light fades,
On the broken blades of grass the heat slowly dries indelible stains.
Next to their fallen stewards who will never again fight for pride or power,
For the clash of silver swords no longer fills these starlit hours.
And their blood has washed over this field from wantonly opened veins, no longer can these armies conceal their colors are one and the same,
All now happily dead, under their flags of red.
Dillon McKenna's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Flag by Dillon McKenna )
- In Search of Hercule Poirot, Deborah Eker
- Modern Poetry, Bijay Kant Dubey
- READ, READ, READ THE BOOK, Michael P. Johnson
- Different images in life, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Are you really?, Maxim Pokalyuhin
- The pain and pricks., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The maiden poem...., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Loves silent vigil, Erato
- I Miss You., sanjay Pathak
- I am Sorry., sanjay Pathak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1886 - 1967)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edwin Arlington Robinson
(22 December 1869 – 6 April 1935)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)