Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli
ER COMPANATICO DER PARADISO (Heaven's Food)
Dio doppo avé creato in pochi giorni
Quello che c'è de bello e c'é de brutto,
In paradiso o in de li su' contorni
Creò un rampino e ciattaccò un presciutto.
E disse: "Quella femmina che in tutto
Er tempo che campò nun messe corni,
N'abbi una fetta, acciò non magni asciutto
Er pandecèlo de li nostri forni".
Morze Eva, morze Lia, morze Ribbecca,
Fino inzomma a ttu' moje a man'a mano,
Morzeno tutte, e ppijele a l'inzecca.
E ttutte quante cor cortello in mano
Quando furno a ttajà feceno cecca:
Sò sseimil'anni, e quer presciutto è sano.
After having created in a few days
What is good and what is not, God
Created in heaven, or in its whereabouts,
A hook, and hung a piece of ham to it.
He said: "The woman who during her whole life
Has not been unfaithful to her husband
Will receive a slice, to be eaten with
The heavenly bread of our bakehouse".
Eve died, Leah died, Rebecca died  ,
Little by little, up to your wife,
All of them passed away, every single one.
And each of them, knife in hand,
when it was their turn to slice it, failed:
After six thousand years that piece of ham is untouched.
Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (ER COMPANATICO DER PARADISO (Heaven's Food) by Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli )
- Worthy Expressions, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Flight Of Fairies, Nicholas Nikolov
- Goodnight Kiss, Nicholas Nikolov
- MURIEL, Donald R Charon
- GLENDA, Donald R Charon
- Tales Of A Wife: Close To You, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- CREDITOR, Donald R Charon
- Tales Of A Wife: Lady Liberty, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Lament Of Many, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Misguided, Donald R Charon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)