Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli
ER COMMERCIO LIBBERO (The Free Trade)
Be'? So' pputtana, venno la mi' pelle:
Fo la miggnotta, si, sto ar cancelletto:
Lo pijo in quello largo e in quello stretto:
C'è gnent'antro da dì? Che cose belle!
Ma ce sò stat'io puro, sor cazzetto,
Zitella com'e tutte le zitelle;
E mo nun c'è chi avanzi bajocchelle
Su la lana e la paja der mi' letto.
Sai de che me laggn'io? No der mestiere
Che ssarìa bell'e bono, e quanno butta
Nun pò ttrovasse ar monno antro piacere.
Ma de ste dame che stanno anniscoste
Me laggno, che, vedenno quanto frutta
Lo scortico, ciarrubbeno le poste.
What's wrong? Yes, I'm a prostitute, I sell myself:
I'm a whore, yes, I work at the window  :
I take it in the wide and in the narrow  :
Nothing else to say? Wonderful! 
But, dear mister fool, also I have been
A maiden like any other girl;
And now there is nobody
Who has not yet visited my bed.
Do you know what I dislike? Not the work itself
Which is fine and, if it's well going,
There's no pleasure like it.
But these great ladies, who remain undercover
And who, having realized how profitable
This business is, steel our customers.
Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (ER COMMERCIO LIBBERO (The Free Trade) by Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli )
- The Simple Life, Nate Morris
- To touch a star is to be touch by the st.., Raymond Sawyer
- A Prayer For Self Identity, Maurice Harris
- throwing sticks at the stars, Mandolyn ...
- For the Love of Poetry, Sandra Feldman
- The stars that whisper the name Star Buc.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Universe Of True Love, Poetic Lilly Emery
- A Halloween Haiku, Thomas Koron
- What a lovely night to see a star., Raymond Sawyer
- Lonely mirror ball., Simon Gowen
Poem of the Day
- How to Write the Great American Indian N.., Sherman Alexie
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(15 September 1889 – 22 May 1948)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)