Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli
ER COMMERCIO LIBBERO (The Free Trade)
Be'? So' pputtana, venno la mi' pelle:
Fo la miggnotta, si, sto ar cancelletto:
Lo pijo in quello largo e in quello stretto:
C'è gnent'antro da dì? Che cose belle!
Ma ce sò stat'io puro, sor cazzetto,
Zitella com'e tutte le zitelle;
E mo nun c'è chi avanzi bajocchelle
Su la lana e la paja der mi' letto.
Sai de che me laggn'io? No der mestiere
Che ssarìa bell'e bono, e quanno butta
Nun pò ttrovasse ar monno antro piacere.
Ma de ste dame che stanno anniscoste
Me laggno, che, vedenno quanto frutta
Lo scortico, ciarrubbeno le poste.
What's wrong? Yes, I'm a prostitute, I sell myself:
I'm a whore, yes, I work at the window  :
I take it in the wide and in the narrow  :
Nothing else to say? Wonderful! 
But, dear mister fool, also I have been
A maiden like any other girl;
And now there is nobody
Who has not yet visited my bed.
Do you know what I dislike? Not the work itself
Which is fine and, if it's well going,
There's no pleasure like it.
But these great ladies, who remain undercover
And who, having realized how profitable
This business is, steel our customers.
Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (ER COMMERCIO LIBBERO (The Free Trade) by Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli )
- The Beatles in Auckland, michael walker
- Gandhi, gajanan mishra
- Keep Up, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- You, Jose Orozco
- In my heart - you are, gajanan mishra
- 9 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 2 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 31 July 2014, Shri R Brahma
- It's October 1st. Did you pay your mortg.., Jena Crowe
- Princess Diana, Sonia Ode Lucci
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(c. 600 BCE)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Udiah (witness to Yah)