Before there were men, or monkeys or mice.
Before the first cow, sheep or goat.
When none of the Earth was covered in ice.
When few creatures had a fur coat.
The land was then ruled by the teeth and claws
Of terrible lizards called dinosaurs.
The ichthyosaur was king of the sea.
Pteranadon flew in the sky.
Horsetails and clubmoss grew tall as a tree
Then Earth cooled but we don’t know why!
Mammals arose which had hot blood and paws
But it was the end of the dinosaurs.
Archaeopteryx gave rise to the birds
Which also lay eggs in a nest.
There’s still small lizards – but in other words
Apart from a few snakes at best
Nile crocodiles with great open wide jaws
Are all we have left of the dinosaurs.
The Galapagos have iguanas on
And turtles still swim in the sea
But you’ll not observe the iguanadon
He belongs to prehistory
If we’re not careful and give nature cause
Then we’ll go the way of the dinosaurs.
Dave Pass's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Dinosaurs by Dave Pass )
- Just a dream, Brian J. Stafford
- Monsoon Love, Kelly Zion
- Thanksgiving, ThanhThanh Poet
- My old wet blanket, jaquesha webb
- Thanksgiving, Nhuan LeXuan
- My Soul, Joseph Narusiewicz
- A bell that I hear, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Cures For Catatonia, Saiom Shriver
- American Blacks And Poor Whites, Is It Poetry
- A 'No Piece' Cosby, Blu 1 Blu 1 (Rio de Janeiro)
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Lament for Zenocrate, Christopher Marlowe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)