The ‘valor' was rich as the bygone years,
That slept with him in his silent graves
The sulking verses below the reposing Earth
Unvoiced death in soundless rave
It moved, it twitched in anguish and wrath
Down below that rotting cage,
The slumbering death had risen again
To mend earthly life with its deadly swage.
It prepared to smack, to ravage and distort
Mortals in their illusion-land,
Who reveled and danced in forged prejudice
Where Justice, honor and all law was banned.
Men fed with dread, with wrath and lust
That treaded above that sloven grave
‘Death' thought and mocked at the bellowing mobs,
At the flimsy life, so shallow, so naive!
It smiled and said from his decadent abode,
"This grave above my groping grave"
Where fetid lives in ruddy streams,
Smeared with prejudice, in blood they laved.
Death plays, and laughs in mirth, in pride,
When a sudden ray through the cask invades
The creeping reed above that cask,
And death again stood betrayed.
There might be wrath, and envy too
But smiles life, where death does sleep,
There might be a grave above the grave
Grows Life of death where death reposes deep.
ritwika raha's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Death defeated by ritwika raha )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
Poem of the Day
- A Lover of A Muslim Girl Am I, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Death ballet, Ojaswi Machiraju
- The Indian Villages of Paglets, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Fred Claus Got It Right, Mr. Nobody
- Taron, Pariyon Ke Desh Meri Chandramukhi.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Chandramukhi, I Haven't Seen You For So .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Becoming An Essence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Chosen Path, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I've Killed, Mr. Nobody
- Treasuring Experience, RoseAnn V. Shawiak