From behind the bars
I stand behind those brazen bars,
Of a dungeon in those ill famed towers,
A soldier once, but now a captive here I stand,
With the living remains of my native land! !
Embedded in my memory lane
How that day did craft with several men!
How blood quenched blood and made faces pale…
This war, like a rolling wheel, is a resurrecting tale.
My friends and I did tread through several miles,
With oozing hearts, yet virile
How the eyes looked mirror to the weighted souls
Like each man a Hero, in his native role.
Friends looked dearer and acquaintances friends
The last hours of life….the lost hours shall mend,
Friends and foes together shall sleep
The Stars and the Graves, all shall weep! !
Soon foes and friends faced again,
All armoured like me….all like my own,
All men of real flesh and bones,
Some sons to fathers, and some fathers to sons,
But all like carcass, with hollow emotions,
We all had come at the regime's call,
Victory or defeat, but shall be mankind's fall,
Sorrow being born of joy and joy from sorrow.
This night shall revel but it shall be day tomorrow…
It is the death and darkness, a battle's either sides! !
ritwika raha's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (From behind the bars by ritwika raha )
- SHE - a love poem, Thomas Kay
- Upon Me, Edward Kofi Louis
- Global Pie-in-the-sky, stephen ifill
- Fifty Percent, Tom Higgins
- Yamine, Edward Kofi Louis
- I want eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- One More For The Road., Tom Higgins
- We don't accept anything anytime...., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Tread, read!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Against A Stone, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)