Pressed up to a cold radiator,
The curtains drawn over the day
Brushing his back
And erasing the golden gloat,
'I am, I am.'
Their thick obscurity makes
It too dark for even
The most insidious of shadows,
They all died and bled
Into one dominating grey tombstone.
His hazy gaze falls roughly
Around the calendar left fallen
Under his paper-covered desk;
A burial under unread documents and ill-organised folders.
His hands crossing one over the other
Clutch the narrow fabric of the bed sheet,
Conducting the cold-metal shiver that performs
An ancient sacrificial doom dance in
Every segment of his unimpressive figure.
He's stuck to the radiator like it gave birth to him.
Every emotion emigrates around his face,
Competing for the quivering lips, the heavy eyebrows,
The daft colourings of his soft cheeks.
He wets the bed with clear tears,
Shed without ever knowing why,
Why cry, why me, why me?
The lonely closet of his life
Looks him gauntly in the eyes
Gaining their full illusive focus,
Because the skeleton just fell out.
And the cold radiator
Leaves him cold like the palm of a unheld hand.
Sandy Player's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Corner Stone by Sandy Player )
- Her Pain I Understand, Rohit Sapra
- Tolstoyan Observations, Mark R. Elias
- Our current world عالمنا الحالي, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Incas, Nassy Fesharaki
- Fellow Lovers, Saiom Shriver
- Dark October Skies, Lilly Emery
- In den vreemde, Madrason writer
- SOLVING THE OLD CONUNDRUM THAT ASKS WHIC.., NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Does He Tell Her About Me?, Emma R. Kessler
- Evil's ugly makers, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)