Pressed up to a cold radiator,
The curtains drawn over the day
Brushing his back
And erasing the golden gloat,
'I am, I am.'
Their thick obscurity makes
It too dark for even
The most insidious of shadows,
They all died and bled
Into one dominating grey tombstone.
His hazy gaze falls roughly
Around the calendar left fallen
Under his paper-covered desk;
A burial under unread documents and ill-organised folders.
His hands crossing one over the other
Clutch the narrow fabric of the bed sheet,
Conducting the cold-metal shiver that performs
An ancient sacrificial doom dance in
Every segment of his unimpressive figure.
He's stuck to the radiator like it gave birth to him.
Every emotion emigrates around his face,
Competing for the quivering lips, the heavy eyebrows,
The daft colourings of his soft cheeks.
He wets the bed with clear tears,
Shed without ever knowing why,
Why cry, why me, why me?
The lonely closet of his life
Looks him gauntly in the eyes
Gaining their full illusive focus,
Because the skeleton just fell out.
And the cold radiator
Leaves him cold like the palm of a unheld hand.
Sandy Player's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Corner Stone by Sandy Player )
- Devil's Darkness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Where is justice?, gajanan mishra
- Silent Voices - Heartbroken Sounds, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Stumble And Fall, Maurice Rowlands
- Love others, gajanan mishra
- Thoughts of Perfection, michael walkerjohn
- Coffee & cream, Mark Heathcote
- An African Woman Unfolds, michael walkerjohn
- The Daughter of the Earth - 43, gajanan mishra
- Prove your presence, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Go Back to May 1937, Sharon Olds
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(November 19, 1942)