Pressed up to a cold radiator,
The curtains drawn over the day
Brushing his back
And erasing the golden gloat,
'I am, I am.'
Their thick obscurity makes
It too dark for even
The most insidious of shadows,
They all died and bled
Into one dominating grey tombstone.
His hazy gaze falls roughly
Around the calendar left fallen
Under his paper-covered desk;
A burial under unread documents and ill-organised folders.
His hands crossing one over the other
Clutch the narrow fabric of the bed sheet,
Conducting the cold-metal shiver that performs
An ancient sacrificial doom dance in
Every segment of his unimpressive figure.
He's stuck to the radiator like it gave birth to him.
Every emotion emigrates around his face,
Competing for the quivering lips, the heavy eyebrows,
The daft colourings of his soft cheeks.
He wets the bed with clear tears,
Shed without ever knowing why,
Why cry, why me, why me?
The lonely closet of his life
Looks him gauntly in the eyes
Gaining their full illusive focus,
Because the skeleton just fell out.
And the cold radiator
Leaves him cold like the palm of a unheld hand.
Sandy Player's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Corner Stone by Sandy Player )
- True Romance, Electric Lady
- For every smile thus there the stars of .., Raymond Sawyer
- he Gift, david kush
- I'm always like this, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Soar Where Those Poor Of Faith Reside, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- He told the officers, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- To touch a star is to be ouch with respe.., Raymond Sawyer
- Her enchanted delight, Amgad Samy
- my glasses, Bull Hawking
- 64 and deaf, Cyndi K. Gacosta
Poem of the Day
- It Is the Hour, George Gordon Byron
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- This is Just to Say, William Carlos Williams
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1927)
(5 November 1494 – 19 January 1576)