Left Alone for Another Lifetime
I give my eyes to the stairs as I ascend,
They seem not to be steps, steps, steps, steps,
But one sheet of inclined metal
Willing me to misplace my left foot and slip.
It may just be the lighting;
The insomniac bulbs that are so dull
It's as if half had been stolen somehow
Or fell alseep in quiet protest to their ceaseless use.
That drone, that is the consistent hum of their snore I guess.
At the top I enter the bedroom
Under a family-tonne of scowls, - screwed up noses,
A lazy eye - hanging framed on the wall.
It makes them unadorable; those sweaty wrinkles are permanent.
The shadow of my brother makes me
Look strange-ish in that photo,
A sort of grey, like death black
Diluted with a cup of pinkish humour.
But the sun cremates itself
And night, night, night.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Left Alone for Another Lifetime by Sandy Player )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- it's no surprise i'm weeping, just a lit.., Mandolyn ...
- Culmination, Angell Afinowi
- A Flowers Telling of Orpheus, Skyler Ryan
- West, GRANT FRASER
- Hurricane Kaitlyn, Bernard Snyder
- Old Breath, GRANT FRASER
- Saints Rising, George Egba
- Hiroshima., Tony Adah
- Sun Exposed, Prasad Natarajan
- Libra Scale, Kewayne Wadley