Left Alone for Another Lifetime
I give my eyes to the stairs as I ascend,
They seem not to be steps, steps, steps, steps,
But one sheet of inclined metal
Willing me to misplace my left foot and slip.
It may just be the lighting;
The insomniac bulbs that are so dull
It's as if half had been stolen somehow
Or fell alseep in quiet protest to their ceaseless use.
That drone, that is the consistent hum of their snore I guess.
At the top I enter the bedroom
Under a family-tonne of scowls, - screwed up noses,
A lazy eye - hanging framed on the wall.
It makes them unadorable; those sweaty wrinkles are permanent.
The shadow of my brother makes me
Look strange-ish in that photo,
A sort of grey, like death black
Diluted with a cup of pinkish humour.
But the sun cremates itself
And night, night, night.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Left Alone for Another Lifetime by Sandy Player )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(1644 - 1694)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
- The Eagle, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Poem-Spectator, Tushar Ray
- True Love Never Dies, lou parks
- Untitled VII, Sierra Staten
- The unblamenesses allay wounds, Pijush Biswas
- I Move, So I Am, Tanja Henderson
- Life Dances, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Looking Kyle In the Eyes, Kyle Schlicher
- Besten Dank für den Gruss, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Birthday poem, Wala' Qamhieh
- If you want to be my inspirer, Elius Rubby