I lay my head down soundlessly
And watch my will trickle
Down my wedding white cheek
Until it is absorbed into the aphotic pillow.
The pillow that turns to stone
In the morning
To the same mourning each day.
From its Siberian snarl I indulge myself
On a new coating of salt
Whipped, weeped onto my face
Into a brute-basilisk masquerade;
My flawed affectation.
Those crystals age me,
Spin me into another false look,
Even after I've washed my skin.
I'll take a pill, that'll do.
I'm pushing away reality and forcing faked content through.
For this, I'm presented with a blood-stained certificate
Allowing me to talk to you
Though it's not long time before the evening shredder eats it
And you drop me in a bucket,
Hook your muddy talons around the grasp,
And throw it to the cesspit.
I return to my hungry pillow,
Another night feeding it with the eyes' milk;
With the left eye and then the right eye
And then back again
Like an 'o'.
I feel it lapping up my tears
With the eternal flames.
I turn and burn.
Sandy Player's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Burnt Salt by Sandy Player )
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Play The Game, Jessie Pope
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- As aged I, Emmanuel George Cefai
- true friend, Rani Jain
- In laziness begot, Emmanuel George Cefai
- When Times Will Ring with Bells, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Hurling themselves over the rocks, Emmanuel George Cefai
- When will the time come?, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Gandhi Versus Godse, Jasbir Chatterjee
- Muslims…Indeed Christians….Specifically .., James B. Earley
- Friends, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Love's Curse Befell None, Jayatissa Liyanage