A Tree Can't Sing
A tree can't sing;
They say mice go 'squeak'
And fish go 'sploosh'
But a tree is renowned for
Its taciturn trunk.
Its teeth of dead bark,
Bite together to block the tongue
From ever becoming a lingua.
Birds perch on its attempt to do so.
They sound their arie,
Or croak coarse cacophonies
To their fat chicks and partners.
A tree must simply cover it's face
In its willowy fringe
And wait for Autumn to take its leaf
And Winter to frost it's sap.
But it never quite happens
And a tree is caught in a new world
Blooming ferociously into being.
So he remakes his old, shed clothes
And hides from the
Scoffing serenades of an unphased nature.
I wish the tales of ten thousand and two trees to be heard
They may take their roots out of the mud yet.
Sandy Player's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Tree Can't Sing by Sandy Player )
- Boond Boond Boond Barse Chain, Yashvardhan Goel
- O My God, Meri Ek Bhi Nahin, Uski Tin-Ti.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Fabus Indulcet Fames, michael walkerjohn
- One Not, But Three Bibis, Veiled Wives, .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Alive In S'November To Remember - The Ta.., Joe Muschaweck
- Each Day With You KP, Michael McParland
- थिरिँ बिरिँ x6, Ronjoy Brahma
- debauched, Frank Weedings
- The Doubter and the Doubt , Ananta Madhavan
- A, Vera Sidhwa
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Marriage(Divine Relation), binod bastola
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)