Bringing in the Wine
See how the Yellow River's water move out of heaven.
Entering the ocean,never to return.
See how lovely locks in bright mirrors in high chambers,
Though silken-black at morning, have changed by night to snow.
... Oh, let a man of spirit venture where he pleases
And never tip his golden cup empty toward the moon!
Since heaven gave the talent, let it be employed!
Spin a thousand of pieces of silver, all of them come back!
Cook a sheep, kill a cow, whet the appetite,
And make me, of three hundred bowls, one long drink!
... To the old master, Tsen,
And the young scholar, Tan-chiu,
Bring in the wine!
Let your cups never rest!
Let me sing you a song!
Let your ears attend!
What are bell and drum, rare dishes and treasure?
Let me br forever drunk and never come to reason!
Sober men of olden days and sages are forgotten,
And only the great drinkers are famous for all time.
... Prince Chen paid at a banquet in the Palace of Perfection
Ten thousand coins for a cask of wine, with many a laugh and quip.
Why say, my host, that your money is gone?
Go and buy wine and we'll drink it together!
My flower-dappled horse,
My furs worth a thousand,
Hand them to the boy to exchange for good wine,
And we'll drown away the woes of ten thousand generation!
Li Po's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bringing in the Wine by Li Po )
- Word Fright, michael walkerjohn
- Another Thought, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- On Bullying, Holly Moon
- Luck's Drawl, michael walkerjohn
- No bounds, hasmukh amathalal
- Childhood Anger, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Red and White, michael walkerjohn
- Just Rats, John Shea
- Entrails, michael walkerjohn
- Bad luck and story, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns