Bringing in the Wine
See how the Yellow River's water move out of heaven.
Entering the ocean,never to return.
See how lovely locks in bright mirrors in high chambers,
Though silken-black at morning, have changed by night to snow.
... Oh, let a man of spirit venture where he pleases
And never tip his golden cup empty toward the moon!
Since heaven gave the talent, let it be employed!
Spin a thousand of pieces of silver, all of them come back!
Cook a sheep, kill a cow, whet the appetite,
And make me, of three hundred bowls, one long drink!
... To the old master, Tsen,
And the young scholar, Tan-chiu,
Bring in the wine!
Let your cups never rest!
Let me sing you a song!
Let your ears attend!
What are bell and drum, rare dishes and treasure?
Let me br forever drunk and never come to reason!
Sober men of olden days and sages are forgotten,
And only the great drinkers are famous for all time.
... Prince Chen paid at a banquet in the Palace of Perfection
Ten thousand coins for a cask of wine, with many a laugh and quip.
Why say, my host, that your money is gone?
Go and buy wine and we'll drink it together!
My flower-dappled horse,
My furs worth a thousand,
Hand them to the boy to exchange for good wine,
And we'll drown away the woes of ten thousand generation!
Li Po's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bringing in the Wine by Li Po )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Naveed Khalid
(1 January 1903 - 13 March 1976)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Sir Walter Scott
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Exposure, Wilfred Owen
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
Poem of the Day
- my high school poetry, Leila Hadi
- westnile, Leila Hadi
- With colors, gajanan mishra
- OBITUARY TO INNOCENTS (KILLED SCHOOL CHI.., shuvo chakraborty
- Trees, Leila Hadi
- No Name Necessary, Leila Hadi
- I Dream of Making Films, Md. Ziaul Haque
- I Still Miss You, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Eid, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Misunderstandings, Md. Ziaul Haque