I am a beech tree. Here I stand,
The tallest tree for miles around;
The proudest tree in all the land,
My branches high above the ground.
I'm never bored just standing here,
There's always something interesting,
No matter what the time of year.
The changing seasons colours bring:
In March, fresh leaves of brightest green
Emerge from copper coloured sheaths.
No brighter foliage will be seen
Upon the other woodland trees.
A bluebell carpet at my feet,
The deepest blue of summer seas.
A wrinkled landscape, rising heat;
Sweet fragrance wafts on sultry breeze.
But then, when Autumn's misty haze
Descends upon the woodland ride,
I yearn for light and summer days
In place of Winter's roaring tide.
In dark December's icy trap
I crave the urgent call of Spring:
New life, the surge of rising sap,
The joy that nesting birds can bring.
Another ring - no need to frown,
Fresh primroses spread round my feet,
They thrive in leaf-mould rich and brown,
And so the cycle is complete
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Beech by William Messent )
- Her Front Door, Randy McClave
- Thankless animal, hasmukh amathalal
- Treat Me Right, Katherine Nordhaus
- A Call to the MinuteMen, Michael Stevens
- Romeos morning serenade climb, Mark Heathcote
- Screamers, Lev Brekhman
- Bitter lament, Lev Brekhman
- Breakheart solo, Lev Brekhman
- Pygmalion, Lev Brekhman
- Be ready, Lev Brekhman
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Surfer, Judith Wright
- The Genius Of The Crowd, Charles Bukowski
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)