I am a beech tree. Here I stand,
The tallest tree for miles around;
The proudest tree in all the land,
My branches high above the ground.
I'm never bored just standing here,
There's always something interesting,
No matter what the time of year.
The changing seasons colours bring:
In March, fresh leaves of brightest green
Emerge from copper coloured sheaths.
No brighter foliage will be seen
Upon the other woodland trees.
A bluebell carpet at my feet,
The deepest blue of summer seas.
A wrinkled landscape, rising heat;
Sweet fragrance wafts on sultry breeze.
But then, when Autumn's misty haze
Descends upon the woodland ride,
I yearn for light and summer days
In place of Winter's roaring tide.
In dark December's icy trap
I crave the urgent call of Spring:
New life, the surge of rising sap,
The joy that nesting birds can bring.
Another ring - no need to frown,
Fresh primroses spread round my feet,
They thrive in leaf-mould rich and brown,
And so the cycle is complete
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Beech by William Messent )
- A Free Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dissolved, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Go boothward young doves, moez meftah
- To Someone Special On Poemhunter, Electric Lady
- Thank You: from a dear friend, Almedia Knight Oliver
- Memories, anthony john cerrito, sr.
- The Sea, Somasekar Sivaprakash
- Gods Revenge, Tango Tango
- 'Valerie', Katherine Nordhaus
- 'Charlie Girl', Katherine Nordhaus
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)