The Shipping Forecast (2012)
While sailing by beyond the fringe
I caught a song by Ronald Binge,
Heralding the Shipping Forecast -
"Attention, all at sea! "
Beware of gales in Forties, Tyne,
Fisher, Dogger, German Bight,
Humber, Thames and Dover, Wight,
Portland, Plymouth, Lundy, Sole,
Fitzroy, Biscay, Trafalgar,
Shannon, Fastnet, Irish Sea,
Rockall, Malin, Hebrides,
Faeroes, Fair Isle, Cromarty.
Here's the general situation,
(Please forgive my hesitation)
There is much precipitation
And it's falling on my head!
I have a vague impression
Of a deepening depression;
There's a cyclone over Iceland
And I'm feeling very low.
It is foggy in the Forties
So that I can see Rockall
And it's freezing in the Faeroes -
I'll need my Fair Isle after all.
But in North and South Utsire
Visibility is clearer
And I've come to the conclusion
That this front is an occlusion.
There's storm force 10 in Biscay
Making sailing rather risky,
But the weather now in Viking
May be much more to your liking.
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Shipping Forecast (2012) by William Messent )
- Unpacking Gold, Arno Le Roux
- Storybook Story, Arno Le Roux
- God's Violin, Arno Le Roux
- Willow, weep for us, Peter Jay Shippy
- Masking War, Arno Le Roux
- Wedding Album, Jeannette Heywood
- I Can't Believe That You're in Love With.., Peter Jay Shippy
- Thatched hut., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Cobbled stones, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Give me freedom, Emmanuel George Cefai
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- First Day at School, Roger McGough
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
(1679 - 1718)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(8 August 1884 – 29 January 1933)