The Shipping Forecast (2012)
While sailing by beyond the fringe
I caught a song by Ronald Binge,
Heralding the Shipping Forecast -
"Attention, all at sea! "
Beware of gales in Forties, Tyne,
Fisher, Dogger, German Bight,
Humber, Thames and Dover, Wight,
Portland, Plymouth, Lundy, Sole,
Fitzroy, Biscay, Trafalgar,
Shannon, Fastnet, Irish Sea,
Rockall, Malin, Hebrides,
Faeroes, Fair Isle, Cromarty.
Here's the general situation,
(Please forgive my hesitation)
There is much precipitation
And it's falling on my head!
I have a vague impression
Of a deepening depression;
There's a cyclone over Iceland
And I'm feeling very low.
It is foggy in the Forties
So that I can see Rockall
And it's freezing in the Faeroes -
I'll need my Fair Isle after all.
But in North and South Utsire
Visibility is clearer
And I've come to the conclusion
That this front is an occlusion.
There's storm force 10 in Biscay
Making sailing rather risky,
But the weather now in Viking
May be much more to your liking.
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Shipping Forecast (2012) by William Messent )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- St. Valentine's Day, Edgar Albert Guest
- Pleasure's Signs, Edgar Albert Guest
- Bud Discusses Cleanliness, Edgar Albert Guest
- Our Country, Edgar Albert Guest
- Being Dad On Christmas Eve, Edgar Albert Guest
- Tinkerin' At Home, Edgar Albert Guest
- Safe Conduct, Edgar Albert Guest
- Chums, Edgar Albert Guest
- Lillian's Reading, Edgar Albert Guest
- Passion, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken