Peter Daniel Phiri
As New Year Approaches
As the year reaches twighlight,
My love burns like firelight;
And faded dreams disappear like nightmares at dawn.
In the interim darkness to come, may you, my love, stay close to my light?
As new year approaches like dawn, through the interim cold, may you harness its warmth?
As joy of today's happiness soar sky high,
May we not forget the tears of yesterday?
For tears of yesterday was nothing but seeds for today's happiness.
Be careful, likewise, today's joy may be mustard seed for tomorrow's sorrow.
It's strange but true, at times the past awaits us in the future,
Lovemore, my brother, I hope it becomes true in my life.
For I can't forget you just like that!
Another year on the verge of birth and we can't celebrate it with you.
I know you are amongst the dead and saints growing impatient,
Relax, stop flapping your wings, your day of glory will come,
For it is written, the dead and the saints will come with the Lord through the skies.
I don't know when the Lord will come, but I know it's soon, but definately not this year.
So please allow us to celebrate, wish us all a happy new year!
Peter Daniel Phiri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (As New Year Approaches by Peter Daniel Phiri )
- Will You Read My Poem, Sir?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Repair a net, Trong Phan
- Jayanta Mahahpatra As An Image-maker, A .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- hindi haiku ghazal chaand, S.D. TIWARI
- Who Really Cares? Does Anything Matter?, Mr. Nobody
- Jashn manaao, Aftab Alam
- Poetry Is Where You Find It X, Frank Avon
- Happiness Is..., Arno Le Roux
- I Never Travelled Alone, Akhtar Jawad
- Wholesomeness To Thirst, Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)