Peter Daniel Phiri
As New Year Approaches
As the year reaches twighlight,
My love burns like firelight;
And faded dreams disappear like nightmares at dawn.
In the interim darkness to come, may you, my love, stay close to my light?
As new year approaches like dawn, through the interim cold, may you harness its warmth?
As joy of today's happiness soar sky high,
May we not forget the tears of yesterday?
For tears of yesterday was nothing but seeds for today's happiness.
Be careful, likewise, today's joy may be mustard seed for tomorrow's sorrow.
It's strange but true, at times the past awaits us in the future,
Lovemore, my brother, I hope it becomes true in my life.
For I can't forget you just like that!
Another year on the verge of birth and we can't celebrate it with you.
I know you are amongst the dead and saints growing impatient,
Relax, stop flapping your wings, your day of glory will come,
For it is written, the dead and the saints will come with the Lord through the skies.
I don't know when the Lord will come, but I know it's soon, but definately not this year.
So please allow us to celebrate, wish us all a happy new year!
Peter Daniel Phiri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (As New Year Approaches by Peter Daniel Phiri )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- The Run For Glory, Karen GonzalezVidela
- Like A Needle And A Thread Did Wed (By S.., Anastasia Hunt
- snow at school, Juwon Daniel
- Be At Peace, Michael P. McParland
- Filing Bankruptcy, Susan Lacovara
- winter snow, Juwon Daniel
- Come Hold Me 3, Michael P. McParland
- Autumn, Andrea Vescovo
- I Love You Kira 6, Michael P. McParland
- sonnet 6: God of snow, Juwon Daniel