Peter Daniel Phiri
As New Year Approaches
As the year reaches twighlight,
My love burns like firelight;
And faded dreams disappear like nightmares at dawn.
In the interim darkness to come, may you, my love, stay close to my light?
As new year approaches like dawn, through the interim cold, may you harness its warmth?
As joy of today's happiness soar sky high,
May we not forget the tears of yesterday?
For tears of yesterday was nothing but seeds for today's happiness.
Be careful, likewise, today's joy may be mustard seed for tomorrow's sorrow.
It's strange but true, at times the past awaits us in the future,
Lovemore, my brother, I hope it becomes true in my life.
For I can't forget you just like that!
Another year on the verge of birth and we can't celebrate it with you.
I know you are amongst the dead and saints growing impatient,
Relax, stop flapping your wings, your day of glory will come,
For it is written, the dead and the saints will come with the Lord through the skies.
I don't know when the Lord will come, but I know it's soon, but definately not this year.
So please allow us to celebrate, wish us all a happy new year!
Peter Daniel Phiri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (As New Year Approaches by Peter Daniel Phiri )
- Upon Me, Edward Kofi Louis
- Global Pie-in-the-sky, stephen ifill
- Fifty Percent, Tom Higgins
- Yamine, Edward Kofi Louis
- I want eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- One More For The Road., Tom Higgins
- We don't accept anything anytime...., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Tread, read!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Against A Stone, Edward Kofi Louis
- Master of Plaster, Tom Higgins
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)