An Hymn to Humanity
Lo! for this dark terrestrial ball
Forsakes his azure-paved hall
A prince of heav'nly birth!
Divine Humanity behold,
What wonders rise, what charms unfold
At his descent to earth!
The bosoms of the great and good
With wonder and delight he view'd,
And fix'd his empire there:
Him, close compressing to his breast,
The sire of gods and men address'd,
"My son, my heav'nly fair!
"Descend to earth, there place thy throne;
"To succour man's afflicted son
"Each human heart inspire:
"To act in bounties unconfin'd
"Enlarge the close contracted mind,
"And fill it with thy fire."
Quick as the word, with swift career
He wings his course from star to star,
And leaves the bright abode.
The Virtue did his charms impart;
Their G-----! then thy raptur'd heart
Perceiv'd the rushing God:
For when thy pitying eye did see
The languid muse in low degree,
Then, then at thy desire
Descended the celestial nine;
O'er me methought they deign'd to shine,
And deign'd to string my lyre.
Can Afric's muse forgetful prove?
Or can such friendship fail to move
A tender human heart?
Immortal Friendship laurel-crown'd
The smiling Graces all surround
With ev'ry heav'nly Art.
Phillis Wheatley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Hymn to Humanity by Phillis Wheatley )
Did you read them?
- Tread, thread!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Father Dearest., Tom Higgins
- Are We There Yet?, Tom Higgins
- Poles, Edward Kofi Louis
- Fictional Love, Stacey Austin
- Too Late Again., Tom Higgins
- Cutting my losses., michael walker
- Moonlight Shadows, Tango Tango
- Thoughts of Nought., Tom Higgins
- Lotsa Limericks - It Couldn't be Verse, Terry O'Leary
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)