A Shiny Light
It's stronger than a thing should be, a resting place in flight.
And gathers all the strength it needs from shiny morning light.
Some older than the memory serves yet younger than it seems.
I even thought I heard some sing, but maybe those were dreams.
I grew a bit and ventured up to earn a goodly friend.
A thing that I could count upon, on that I could depend.
It has no face or mouth to speak or eye to see me dance.
Still I shall friendly, chat it up to spare me miss the chance.
Befriend us till the end of day and place them end to end.
While all the time I'm reaching out it held a hand to lend.
And now that time is drawing near and darker is the light,
I ask that you will, while I'm gone, do feed it shiny light.
Thomas Adams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The Poetaster Aug/2013
Comments about this poem (A Shiny Light by Thomas Adams )
- The Initiation, Echezonachukwu Nduka
- Circular Cycle, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Unofficial Issues, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Closed, Annalee Hopkins Somerville
- Iridescent, Adriana Avila
- Arcadian, Kumarmani Mahakul
- A Hidden Angry, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- irritating rash, lee fones
- Feeling Love, Sandra Feldman
- so in other words, i feel for two, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- First Lesson, Philip Booth
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)