A Proverb of Evolution
The group was delightful.
We read poetry to each other
(not our own, for God sake) and ate dinner.
Over months, the dinner talks
pushed up against the reading time.
Some of it was highly personal
and the discussions stretched out
and the poetry time suffered
even as the emotion intensified.
Finally, only a few poems were read
as a formality before the invasive species
of personal triumphs and tragedies
took their place on the throne.
Our meetings became therapy sessions.
One time, someone mentioned
a spectacular investment they had made.
Everyone was full of wonder
like amateur astronomers.
The next dinner there was more
investment talk, especially real estate.
Finally, there was not much time
for any serious therapy and our dinners
took on the intensity of bank heist planning.
One evening, someone showed up
with what they said was an Italian proverb:
“All things start out as poetry and end up as real estate.”
We all laughed knowingly,
and someone began to recite a poem
until they were shouted down.
Michael Philips's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Proverb of Evolution by Michael Philips )
- तुम और हम, Priyanka Gupta
- Seeing Childhood In Memories, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Intellectual Gifts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God Is Light, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Welcome Autumn, Abdullah alHemaidy
- shadow of life, Abdullah alHemaidy
- Obstacle Race, anujan raja
- Death wish, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Through crisis, hasmukh amathalal
- Beyond the curve, SALINI NAIR
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Leisure, William Henry Davies
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Maurice Polydore-Marie-Bernard Maeterlinck
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1886 - 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)