A Promise to eradicate illiteracy
A Promise to eradicate
The dark veil of flowing illiteracy,
As a canopy on our growing democracy;
Covers many crores of our great lot,
Under which teeming with ignorance, rot.
Unaware of the goings on around,
Stark illiteracy with poverty bound;
The window of the wide world is shut,
And the kaleidoscopic view of the panorama is cut.
The spiritual and intellectual devolpment,
Not sparked off by literary involvement,
Is a curse on the person and the nation,
As multitudes live like animals sans education.
Seized of the problem, in many a country,
UNESCO launched a war on illiteracy;
Allocating funds, the malady to cure,
With India taking the cudgel, very sure.
To kindle the dawn of consciousness,
Of the need of literacy's importance;
A programme of National Adult Education,
Is on the anvil with much ovation.
Of all the state birds flying in thirst,
Kerala's bird has landed first;
With Ernakulam carrying the flag high,
Inducing others their flight to stage by!
Let us scouts now make out a promise,
A multi-pronged attack without a miss-
To launch on 'illiteracy'-the monster dreadful,
With a spirit of commitment and hearts so full.
chandra thiagarajan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Promise to eradicate illiteracy by chandra thiagarajan )
- My address, gajanan mishra
- With dogs and rats, Aftab Alam
- If I Were A Child, Randy McClave
- Who wilt Preach?, Sir Toby
- Uncle Ikey's Last Words No.43, Robert Graber
- A Balance Of Opinion, Richard Provencher
- Some I saved from the bin, GRANT FRASER
- Till you come, micheal john
- The Thing Betwixt The Ears, Buxton Shippy
- Going To Heaven, Tony Adah