A Promise to eradicate illiteracy
A Promise to eradicate
The dark veil of flowing illiteracy,
As a canopy on our growing democracy;
Covers many crores of our great lot,
Under which teeming with ignorance, rot.
Unaware of the goings on around,
Stark illiteracy with poverty bound;
The window of the wide world is shut,
And the kaleidoscopic view of the panorama is cut.
The spiritual and intellectual devolpment,
Not sparked off by literary involvement,
Is a curse on the person and the nation,
As multitudes live like animals sans education.
Seized of the problem, in many a country,
UNESCO launched a war on illiteracy;
Allocating funds, the malady to cure,
With India taking the cudgel, very sure.
To kindle the dawn of consciousness,
Of the need of literacy's importance;
A programme of National Adult Education,
Is on the anvil with much ovation.
Of all the state birds flying in thirst,
Kerala's bird has landed first;
With Ernakulam carrying the flag high,
Inducing others their flight to stage by!
Let us scouts now make out a promise,
A multi-pronged attack without a miss-
To launch on 'illiteracy'-the monster dreadful,
With a spirit of commitment and hearts so full.
chandra thiagarajan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Promise to eradicate illiteracy by chandra thiagarajan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Repetition Compulsion Syndrome, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- ETC1, shuvo chakraborty
- Gamble with faith, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Brain is the link., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Fireworks Of Ideas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sleep it away., Gary Hembree
- Adil Jussawalla The Poet, Bijay Kant Dubey
- It's Morning, Dr Ronnie Bai
- She and He, Dr Ronnie Bai
- My last regret, Eliza Clair