Lawrence S. Pertillar
$5 a Barrel of What?
Now sold at what?
Five dollars a barrel?
This is an immediate sign,
That something is not going too well.
Has anyone communicated this,
To those who chose this direction?
And they seem to be okay with this decision?
There just will be more greed.
With those who once had it made in the shade...
To stand with others who demand to feed their needs.
And you all know how improbable that is going to be?
Who is going to touch us anyway?
All Mercedes will be curbed.
And Bentleys will be driven by those deserving.
Why the gloomy faces?
Pass the caviar!
That was one hundred and five US dollars.'
Soon we will build heaven on Earth.
Right here in the desert!
When you have no clue of who those are
You choose to fight...
Do not ever pick the ones
To try to trick on their own land!
You only delay
Displaying yourself the fool.
Enough of this rubbish!
Where is the imported champagne?
And raise that to $115 per barrel.
It belongs to us.
They made this 'their' need.
Do as you please!
Have the lox and bagels arrived?
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ($5 a Barrel of What? by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- Hurting 2, Michael McParland
- Pen it down, Mokhtari Houssam eddine
- Mountain Parkway, Stacy L. Mar
- Alabama Truck Stops, Stacy L. Mar
- Of Supernovas and Starfire, Stacy L. Mar
- Of You, Who Do Not Know Me, Stacy L. Mar
- The Wind Blowing Backwards, Stacy L. Mar
- Metrazol, Luke J. Holt
- Sliding Into Old Shoes, Stacy L. Mar
- Like Fallen Gods, Stacy L. Mar
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns