24 Carat Heartache
The first time that I fell in love, she took my breath away,
As if there were not words enough, her beauty to relay...
So sweet of face with golden hair and smiles to melt the heart,
As if the answer to my prayer and God's most joyful art...
To think, God made her as she was, to tantalise and tease,
So that I'd feel a sense of loss the second love must cease...
She moved away, I loved alone, my love I saw no more
And when my heart became as stone, I asked what love was for...
A mere rehearsal, just for now, as if to pass the time?
Or just to lead you on somehow, temptation, sweet, sublime?
If so, I vowed no more, goodbye, good riddance to it all
And no more reason left to sigh, if I ignore love's call...
But love came calling just the same, no mercy could I find,
Each year new beauties to enflame, each decade left behind...
The loneliness still comes and goes, just like a Christmas cold,
Despite the fact, I'm sure God knows, I've got a heart of gold...
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (24 Carat Heartache by Denis Martindale )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Suicide's Note, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Osho, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Many Third-Classers, Bijay Kant Dubey
- As A Man, I Hate The Fanatic The Most, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Bapu, In Your Memory, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Mirth of William, James Merchant
- -Untitled- (2), Morgan Siegel
- The Short Ballad of Egg Boy, James Merchant
- Logic in Life, Jayatissa Liyanage
- - Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.
- Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.