* I Am An Elephant!
It's true, I am an elephant!
In fact, I've always been!
I've got this trunk way up in front,
Stuck here, right in-between...
I've got two tusks that weigh a ton
That press and push and poke
And it's like God was having fun
And thinks it's all a joke...
I've got these massive ears as well,
Like pizzas piping hot
And four feet that are bound to swell,
So thankful I am not...
I've got a teeny-weeny tail
That I'm too fat to see,
That swirls around when there's a gale
And keeps on swatting me...
Now, is this fair? Now, is this right?
Just munching all day long...
To end up bloated through the night,
Like something's really wrong?
With pesky flies upon my hide
And birds upon my back,
My word, the times I've sighed and sighed
I can't give them a whack...
And when I run, it's hard to stop,
Fair warning, please stand clear,
'Cos if you don't, you're sure to drop,
Squashed flat when I come near...
And must the sun be oh so bright?
It really hurts my eyes...
But no-one listens to my plight,
Again, that's no surprise...
No wonder, then, I've had enough!
I'd rather be a cat!
If not, I'd rather be a dove,
A pigeon or a bat!
If not, I'd rather be a cow,
A horse, that's what I want!
Just anything, because right now,
I am an elephant!
Denis Martindale, copyright, October 2013.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (* I Am An Elephant! by Denis Martindale )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- it's no surprise i'm weeping, just a lit.., Mandolyn ...
- Culmination, Angell Afinowi
- A Flowers Telling of Orpheus, Skyler Ryan
- West, GRANT FRASER
- Hurricane Kaitlyn, Bernard Snyder
- Old Breath, GRANT FRASER
- Saints Rising, George Egba
- Hiroshima., Tony Adah
- Sun Exposed, Prasad Natarajan
- Libra Scale, Kewayne Wadley