* The Cross Of Christ
The jeering crowd like jackals stood,
To see what must be done.
Though once they thought this man was good,
They didn't see God's Son.
They called Him Rabbi, Teacher, Lord,
Yet now He was Rome's slave.
So all His claims were now ignored,
For who was He to save?
The nails were driven deep inside...
More drops of blood soon fell...
Once lifted, hoisted, crucified,
His life was just like Hell.
Torment and torture lay ahead.
His scourged back stung and bled and bled
As briars bruised His brain.
His mother wept each passing hour.
'Dear God, have pity, please! '
And yet there came no sign of power,
No rescue, no release.
The soldiers gambled for His clothes.
One wash and they'd be clean.
His life and death the Father chose,
Thus stays the Nazarene.
'It is finished! ' the Saviour screamed
With one great final sigh...
Though not defeated as it seemed,
For Jesus had to die.
To think, the Holy Spirit shares
Forgiveness in His Name!
No other man on Earth compares.
Not one could do the same.
For all have sinned and gone astray
Like sheep in darkest night.
But blessed are they that find the Way
And walk within His light...
He died for you. He died for me.
God's Son fulfilled God's plan.
From Calvary came clemency!
Behold the Son of Man!
Behold the blood! Behold the Lord!
For this man was the Christ!
The Lamb of God! His heart outpoured!
The Saviour sacrificed!
Oh, who can count the callous sins
That Jesus suffered for?
Behold the precious Prince of Peace,
The King of Love and more!
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (* The Cross Of Christ by Denis Martindale )
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ동묘오피녀 ⓑ대전오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- L.Messi 오피뷰 동묘오피 KTwiz 대전오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- Needing Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Drivers, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Respect the seniments, hasmukh amathalal
- Cherishing Each Other, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Joining In Laughter, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Darkness within heart, hasmukh amathalal
- What's Overaching Beyond The Night Sky? .., Merton Lee
- Remote control, Brian Kilpatrick
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Ode To Autumn, John Keats
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)