2013..... Happy New Year! ..... [Serious; Being thankful for my good fortune]
In the months which led up to big Christian, Jewish, and Muslim holidays,
(forgive me for not mentioning ALL religions) , parts of our world still suffer in many ways.
In my U.S.A. we've had an elementary school massacre this month, and many people still are poor.
It reminds me of stories of white-man-vs.-'Indian' massacres, and other revolting gore.
But we, in this country, who are fortunate like me, should count our blessings to be sure, BECAUSE:
We don't have, as in Mexico, drug cartel assassins chopping heads or killing policemen in a bullet blur.
We don't have Middle Eastern missile flights or consulate attacks.
We didn't have Japan's earthquake and tsunami and don't have to follow radiation tracks.
We don't have the staggering African AIDS epidemic, though we have enough.
We don't have some of the conditions found in Russia and India, which for so many make life tough.
My life has probably never been better as far as my comfort and day-to-day existence.
If anyone tries to make me believe life for me is tough, they'll meet with overwhelming resistance.
I hope YOUR life is at least half as easy and satisfying as mine,
And I hope you enjoy a Happy New Year, whether toasted with coffee, milk or wine.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (2013..... Happy New Year! ..... [Serious; Being thankful for my good fortune] by Bri Edwards )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(03 April 1964)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(22 March 1941 -)
(18 November 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Happy Birthday stranger, ice johnson
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes, Billy Collins
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Autumn, Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
Poem of the Day
- Petits morceaux, Lubinda Lubinda
- For Edgar Allan Poe With All Gratitude..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- It Takes Tears to..., Rodney R. Cooper
- It Takes Tears, Rodney R. Cooper
- My life, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- Don't leave me cozied-up homely, Mark Heathcote
- If You Were Here Today, Serena Blackinton
- Uncle Trevor's Solution, rohan bendre
- Trapped Inside, Pamela Carroll
- Two Green Points: Art Print by Wassily K.., Frank Avon