2013..... Happy New Year! ..... [Serious; Being thankful for my good fortune]
In the months which led up to big Christian, Jewish, and Muslim holidays,
(forgive me for not mentioning ALL religions) , parts of our world still suffer in many ways.
In my U.S.A. we've had an elementary school massacre this month, and many people still are poor.
It reminds me of stories of white-man-vs.-'Indian' massacres, and other revolting gore.
But we, in this country, who are fortunate like me, should count our blessings to be sure, BECAUSE:
We don't have, as in Mexico, drug cartel assassins chopping heads or killing policemen in a bullet blur.
We don't have Middle Eastern missile flights or consulate attacks.
We didn't have Japan's earthquake and tsunami and don't have to follow radiation tracks.
We don't have the staggering African AIDS epidemic, though we have enough.
We don't have some of the conditions found in Russia and India, which for so many make life tough.
My life has probably never been better as far as my comfort and day-to-day existence.
If anyone tries to make me believe life for me is tough, they'll meet with overwhelming resistance.
I hope YOUR life is at least half as easy and satisfying as mine,
And I hope you enjoy a Happy New Year, whether toasted with coffee, milk or wine.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (2013..... Happy New Year! ..... [Serious; Being thankful for my good fortune] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- The boogeyman, Harold R Hunt Sr
- God Alone Knows Our Needs, Dr John Celes
- Static scene, hasmukh amathalal
- My fiance, ramesh rai
- Oh Now, Chris Broast
- A Personal Tribute: In Praise of a Perso.., Dr John Celes
- The Day after grad., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Micro unto Macro, Curtlan Popo
- Birds in a Cage, Tango Tango
- Old House, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Poetry, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)