William Topaz McGonagall (1830 - 1902 / Edinburgh / Scotland)
William Topaz McGonagall was born of rather poor Irish parents in Edinburgh, Scotland, in March 1825. In his nearly unreadable, rambling biographical notes1, one eventually learns that he sprang from a family of five children and that he worked with his father as a handloom weaver. His education appears to have been patchy, but, in his own words, 'William has been like the immortal Shakespeare he had learned more from nature than he ever learned at school'. The family settled in Dundee while William was still a boy, and he lived there for the rest of his life. He died in 1902.
As a grown man, he continued to work in the family trade, and married one Jean King in 1846. At about ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- A Christmas Carol
- A Descriptive Poem on the Silvery Tay
- A Humble Heroine
- A New Temperance Poem, in Memory of My D...
- A New Year's Resolution to Leave Dundee
- A Requisition to the Queen
- A Soldier's Reprieve
- A Summary History of Lord Clive
- A Tale of Christmas Eve
- A Tale of Elsinore
- A Tale of the Sea
- A Tribute to Dr. Murison
- A Tribute to Henry M. Stanley
- A Tribute to Mr J. Graham Henderson, The...