William Topaz McGonagall
A Requisition to the Queen
Smiths Buildings No. 19
Sept the 6th. 1877.
Most August! Empress of India, and of great Britain the Queen,
I most humbly beg your pardon, hoping you will not think it mean
That a poor poet that lives in Dundee,
Would be so presumptous to write unto Thee
Most lovely Empress of India, and Englands generous Queen,
I send you an Address, I have written on Scotlands Bard,
Hoping that you will accept it, and not be with me to hard,
Nor fly into a rage, but be as Kind and Condescending
As to give me your Patronage
Beautiful Empress, of India, and Englands Gracious Queen,
I send you a Shakespearian Address written by me.
And I think if your Majesty reads it, right pleased you will be.
And my heart it will leap with joy, if it is patronized by Thee.
Most Mighty Empress, of India, and Englands beloved Queen,
Most Handsome to be Seen.
I wish you every Success.
And that heaven may you bless.
For your Kindness to the poor while they are in distress.
I hope the Lord will protect you while living
And hereafter when your Majesty is ... dead.
I hope the Lord above will place an eternal Crown! upon your Head.
I am your Gracious Majesty ever faithful to Thee,
William McGonagall, The Poor Poet,
That lives in Dundee.
William Topaz McGonagall's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Requisition to the Queen by William Topaz McGonagall )
- The Absurd Nightmare, Jasbir Chatterjee
- Will You Read My Poem, Sir?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Repair a net, Trong Phan
- Jayanta Mahahpatra As An Image-maker, A .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- hindi haiku ghazal chaand, S.D. TIWARI
- Who Really Cares? Does Anything Matter?, Mr. Nobody
- Jashn manaao, Aftab Alam
- Poetry Is Where You Find It X, Frank Avon
- Happiness Is..., Arno Le Roux
- I Never Travelled Alone, Akhtar Jawad
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)