William Topaz McGonagall
A Requisition to the Queen
Smiths Buildings No. 19
Sept the 6th. 1877.
Most August! Empress of India, and of great Britain the Queen,
I most humbly beg your pardon, hoping you will not think it mean
That a poor poet that lives in Dundee,
Would be so presumptous to write unto Thee
Most lovely Empress of India, and Englands generous Queen,
I send you an Address, I have written on Scotlands Bard,
Hoping that you will accept it, and not be with me to hard,
Nor fly into a rage, but be as Kind and Condescending
As to give me your Patronage
Beautiful Empress, of India, and Englands Gracious Queen,
I send you a Shakespearian Address written by me.
And I think if your Majesty reads it, right pleased you will be.
And my heart it will leap with joy, if it is patronized by Thee.
Most Mighty Empress, of India, and Englands beloved Queen,
Most Handsome to be Seen.
I wish you every Success.
And that heaven may you bless.
For your Kindness to the poor while they are in distress.
I hope the Lord will protect you while living
And hereafter when your Majesty is ... dead.
I hope the Lord above will place an eternal Crown! upon your Head.
I am your Gracious Majesty ever faithful to Thee,
William McGonagall, The Poor Poet,
That lives in Dundee.
William Topaz McGonagall's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Requisition to the Queen by William Topaz McGonagall )
- Zero Turkey Wing, Havilah
- Reading and Writing, umaprosad das
- The Afternoon, Leong Ming Loong
- Aligarh Muslim University & Raja Mahendr.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Storm Warning, ESPN CHICK
- A Kiss To Otis Redding, Electric Lady
- So Sensitive In My Heart, Rohit Sapra
- You own every part of me, Afrodita Alkline
- You (One Day I'll Forget You), ESPN CHICK
- Advice can have minus point., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(c. 600 BCE)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)