Vachel Lindsay (November 10, 1879 – December 5, 1931 / Springfield, Illinois)
Nicholas Vachel Lindsay was born on November 10, 1879 in Springfield, Illinois. The second of six children and the only son of Dr. Vachel Thomas Lindsay and Esther Catharine Frazee Lindsay. Vachel did not attend school until he was eight. He was taught at home by his mother, who had been a teacher and artist before her marriage. Grimm’s Fairy Tales is said to have been his primer. He graduated from Stuart School in 1893, having skipped the seventh grade and winning several prizes for his writing compositions.
During his youth, Vachel was encouraged to follow in his father’s footsteps, therefore as a dutiful son, he enrolled at Hiram College, as a premedical student in 1897. Three... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- A Colloquial Reply: To Any Newsboy
- A Curse for Kings
- A Dirge for a Righteous Kitten
- A Net to Snare the Moonlight
- A Prayer to All the Dead among Mine Own ...
- A Rhyme About an Electrical Advertising ...
- A Sense of Humor
- Above the Battle's Front
- Abraham Lincoln Walks at Midnight
- Aladdin and the Jinn
- Alone in the Wind, on the Prairie
- An Apology for the Bottle Volcanic
- An Argument
- An Indian Summer Day on the Prairie