- Fragments - Lines 0213 - 0218 My heart, display toward all ...
- Fragments - Lines 0173 - 0178 Of all things it is poverty ...
- Fragments - Lines 0019 - 0030 Kyrnos, as I work my craft let ...
- Fragments - Lines 0005 - 0010 Lord Phoibos, when the goddess,...
- Fragments - Lines 0001 - 0004
- Fragments - Lines 0425 - 0428
- Fragments - Lines 0219 - 0220
A 6th cenutry BC Greek poet, it has been estimated that Theognis was born around 540 BC and the last date mentioned in his work is 480 BC.
Theognis was an aristocrat who settled in Megara. A didactic poet, he wrote many of his poems for a young man named Cyrnus. Many of his works begin with the Greek for "O Boy" and are passionate in their descriptions of both hate and love. ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Theognis
Fragments - Lines 0213 - 0218
My heart, display toward all your friends a changeful character,
Adding into it the disposition that each one has.
Adopt the disposition of the octopus, crafty in its convolutions, which takes on
The appearance of whatever rock it has dealings with.
At one moment follow along this way, but at the next change the color of your skin:
You can be sure that cleverness proves better than inflexibility.