- Fragments - Lines 0001 - 0004
- Fragments - Lines 0173 - 0178 Of all things it is poverty ...
- Fragments - Lines 0213 - 0218 My heart, display toward all ...
- Fragments - Lines 0667 - 0682 If I had money, Simonides, I ...
- Fragments - Lines 1327 - 1334 My boy, as long as your cheeks ...
- Fragments - Lines 0219 - 0220
- Fragments - Lines 1353 - 1356
A 6th cenutry BC Greek poet, it has been estimated that Theognis was born around 540 BC and the last date mentioned in his work is 480 BC.
Theognis was an aristocrat who settled in Megara. A didactic poet, he wrote many of his poems for a young man named Cyrnus. Many of his works begin with the Greek for "O Boy" and are passionate in their descriptions of both hate and love. ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Theognis
Fragments - Lines 0001 - 0004
O lord, son of Leto, child of Zeus, you I shall never
Forget, either beginning or coming to an end,
But always, first and last and in the middle,
I shall sing of you. And you, hear me and grant good things.