Fish Poems - Poems For Fish
Poems about fish. You can read the best fish poems. Browse through all fish poems.
I caught a tremendous fish
and held him beside the boat
half out of water, with my hook
fast in a corner of his mouth.
He didn't fight.
He hadn't fought at all.
He hung a grunting weight,
battered and venerable
and homely. Here and there
his brown skin hung in strips
like ancient wallpaper,
and its pattern of darker brown
was like wallpaper:
shapes like full-blown roses
stained and lost through age.
He was speckled with barnacles,
fine rosettes of lime,
with tiny white sea-lice,
and underneath two or three
rags of green weed hung down.
While his gills were breathing in
the terrible oxygen
- the frightening gills,
fresh and crisp with blood,
that can cut so badly-
I thought of the coarse white flesh
packed in like feathers,
the big bones and the little bones,
the dramatic reds and blacks
of his shiny entrails,
and the pink swim-bladder
like a big peony.
I looked into his eyes
which were far larger than mine
but shallower, and yellowed,
the irises backed and packed
with tarnished tinfoil
seen through the lenses
of old scratched isinglass.
They shifted a little, but not
to return my stare.
- It was more like the tipping
of an object toward the light.
I admired his sullen face,
the mechanism of his jaw,
and then I saw
that from his lower lip
- if you could call it a lip
grim, wet, and weaponlike,
hung five old pieces of fish-line,
or four and a wire leader
with the swivel still attached,
with all their five big hooks
grown firmly in his mouth.
A green line, frayed at the end
where he broke it, two heavier lines,
and a fine black thread
still crimped from the strain and snap
when it broke and he got away.
Like medals with their ribbons
frayed and wavering,
a five-haired beard of wisdom
trailing from his aching jaw.
I stared and stared
and victory filled up
the little rented boat,
from the pool of bilge
where oil had spread a rainbow
around the rusted engine
to the bailer rusted orange,
the sun-cracked thwarts,
the oarlocks on their strings,
the gunnels- until everything
was rainbow, rainbow, rainbow!
And I let the fish go. read more »
Fish (fly-replete, in depth of June,
Dawdling away their wat'ry noon)
Ponder deep wisdom, dark or clear, read more »
ALTHOUGH you hide in the ebb and flow
Of the pale tide when the moon has set,
The people of coming days will know
About the casting out of my net, read more »
4.To a Fish
You strange, astonished-looking, angle-faced,
Dreary-mouthed, gaping wretches of the sea,
Gulping salt-water everlastingly,
Cold-blooded, though with red your blood be graced, read more »
5.The Maldive Shark
About the Shark, phlegmatical one,
Pale sot of the Maldive sea,
The sleek little pilot-fish, azure and slim,
How alert in attendance be. read more »
6.Fish And Shadow
The salmon-trout drifts in the stream,
The soul of the salmon-trout floats over the stream
Like a little wafer of light. read more »
through black jade
Of the crow-blue mussel-shells, one keeps
adjusting the ash heaps; read more »
8.Address To Certain Golfishes
RESTLESS forms of living light
Quivering on your lucid wings,
Cheating still the curious sight read more »
9.When Fishes Set Umbrellas Up
When fishes set umbrellas up
If the rain-drops run,
Lizards will want their parasols
To shade them from the sun. read more »
The ships destroy us above
And ensnare us beneath.
We arise, we lie down, and we move
In the belly of Death. read more »
I HAVE lived in many half-worlds myself ... and so I know you.
I leaned at a deck rail watching a monotonous sea, the same circling birds and the same plunge of furrows carved by the plowing keel. read more »
New Fish Poems
- Flying Fish Fly Escape Predators, Terence G. Craddock (aftergl ..
- My Uncle Jack, Jim Holmes
- Big Fish, Ikenna Ehiemere
- Cracker Kingfisher, Jayatissa Liyanage
- The Guaca-mole, Richard Lee
- A FISHERMAN'S BASKET, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Fish it, gajanan mishra
- Fish Tub, Minnoor srinivasan
- Fishing Nets شباك صيد الاسماك, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Death of the Fish, Kevin Quero
- Fishes in a Sea of Love, Rachel Nichols
- Fish in jug of water, gajanan mishra
- REMEMBERING FRIEDRICH WILHELM NIETZSCHE, RIC S. BASTASA
- Camping Time, Fraser MacLean
- Fish Tank, Angela Wybrow
- The Pretty Fishing Rod, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- First Encounter - Mahathir Mohamad, john tiong chunghoo
- Haiku #26, otteri selvakumar
- Live like Fish, gajanan mishra
- Your Heart, ali naghavi
- In Constant Struggle, RIC S. BASTASA
- Marc Greets Things in the Morning, Paul van Ostaijen
- New Democracy, Nyein Way
- 'Cat Fish', Shania K. Younce
- 2011 Global Fish Extinction Crisis, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Tanks For The Memories, Louis Marvin
- Fortune Fish, Eileen Hardy
- I Am A Fish!, Arta Krasniqi
- The Snake And The Fish, Asif Andalib
- My First Fishing Trip, bobby beddoe
- fish swim, Shaun Shane
- Hail Venerated King Of Sushi In Death Th.., Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Benefits of 1995 Fish Trash Policy, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Avoiding Deleted Links In Food Chain, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Preserving Global Fishing Grounds, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Incompetence Sentences Our Seas, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- World’s Fisheries In Deep Crisis, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Asian Cyanide Fishing, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- World Sea Fish Extinction Crisis, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- A Fishy Tale, vanessa hughes
- THY WORLD, Aldo Kraas
- Finn's Favorite Fish (Long Tongue Twister), Rebecca Ryan
- GOLDEN FISH, YoungBen Ulebor
- Fish vs. Humans, Rebecca Bell
- Fish of a Different Color, Cory Fox
- Steal, Catherine Yen
- Fishing for Christians, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- FISHING, Karnail Singh Heirwale
- ON A ROCKY BEACH, Aldo Kraas
- We Fish, Herman Melville
- 031210 a set and a round, Manonton Dalan
- 031010 food power, Manonton Dalan
- Icthus (JS#5), James Hart
- Is it really like fishing?, ReubenJames Rodriguez
- fishing for a friend, omar ibrahim
- The Fish Year, Dongming Zhou
- The Sea’s Fish, Naveed Akram
- When I remember the fish, akachukwu chukwuemeka ( akab ..
- Franklins fishes, vincent armone
- Tiny Rhyme, Mubeen Sadhika
- haiku - 241, Dagmara Anna AuraDagimar
- Travel Haiku - Floriday Keys Fishing (St.., john tiong chunghoo
- bloodline ***** FISHING ON PALILAN TABO-.., Rommel Mark Dominguez Marchan
- Fish the Fish, Antonio Liao
- 440, RIC S. BASTASA
- 31, RIC S. BASTASA
- Travel Haiku - Fishing in Seychelles, john tiong chunghoo
- Fishes, Sadiqullah Khan
- .5. Gone Fishing, David Threadgold
- THE HEAD OF THE FISH, Aldo Kraas
- Sky And Water, Atef Ayadi
- Travel Haiku - Angling at Black Hills (S.., john tiong chunghoo
- Lucky Catch, Zen Bojczuk
- Fish, Destiny Avaritia
- carpe diem