Yeah, Baby, Yeah!
Life serves as a reminder that when I love you,
it doesn't mean that you love me...
and despite what seemed like a good start,
a bad ending is sometimes just around the corner.
That's the risk we take, it's difficult to avoid it,
loves offers all, demands all in return,
a fair exchange being all of me given to you,
all of you in return and together, the totality of us,
united, happy ever after from then on...
And how annoying, how rude, to become
a cast-off, a distant memory, so near and yet so far,
so damned close to what might have been...
To be dismissed from what was once a devoted mind,
cast out from the human heart like yesterday's dreams,
then to learn they are with someone new not you...
But if we find someone new...
how quickly we forget the ex,
bolt the doors on memories once cherished,
move on to the thrills of romance still to be...
So it is that our emotional baggage becomes lighter,
hey, cheer up, 'cos it's a new world with new dreams
and life's for living once again, yeah, baby, yeah!
Denis Martindale, copyright, November 2013.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Yeah, Baby, Yeah! by Denis Martindale )
- CREDITOR, Donald R Charon
- Tales Of A Wife: Lady Liberty, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Lament Of Many, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Misguided, Donald R Charon
- NATURE'S INFLUENCE, Donald R Charon
- How Was Your Day?, Donald R Charon
- we never did go bowling, Mandolyn ...
- How To Tie The Knot, Foster Teegarden
- hurry husband, shush my alliteration, Mandolyn ...
- Sharp Is The Bite, Donald R Charon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)