Winter, the Unwelcomed Guest
We didn’t expect him to make such an appearance,
believing Global Warming had banished his presence.
But he came marching in with a vengeance,
confounding our knowledge and intelligence.
Myriads of snow flakes followed in his wake,
like a swarm of locusts descending on the land,
covered our roads and fields in a white shroud;
little did we know that his intentions were bad.
We welcomed him, children rejoiced in him,
thinking he would stay awhile and then go;
but his minions kept on coming in waves,
conquering, laying waste all before him.
There was nothing we could do but wait,
hoping for warmer weather to quicken his gait;
but our hope was in vain, the bully did not budge,
he was like someone bearing a heavy grudge.
But we humans are made of sterner stuff,
we will tough it out and call his bluff;
let him threaten, huff and puff,
he’ll soon sling his hook and be off
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Winter, the Unwelcomed Guest by Isam Hussain )
- Unseen water, Pintu Mahakul
- _Erato my Muse of love poetry, Erato
- AN EMOTIONAL STORY I COULDN'T TELL, Godspower Oshodin
- Shift and Drift, Aftab Alam
- Rivalry is humane to time, Ajala Samuel Akindele
- Certain attitudes to be followed by the .., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Sorry-Wrong Number, Aftab Alam
- Gripes of. Freedom, Nalini Chaturvedi
- Jesus Of Nazareth, Naveed Khalid
- Keebored Problems, Phil Soar