Winter, the Unwelcomed Guest
We didn’t expect him to make such an appearance,
believing Global Warming had banished his presence.
But he came marching in with a vengeance,
confounding our knowledge and intelligence.
Myriads of snow flakes followed in his wake,
like a swarm of locusts descending on the land,
covered our roads and fields in a white shroud;
little did we know that his intentions were bad.
We welcomed him, children rejoiced in him,
thinking he would stay awhile and then go;
but his minions kept on coming in waves,
conquering, laying waste all before him.
There was nothing we could do but wait,
hoping for warmer weather to quicken his gait;
but our hope was in vain, the bully did not budge,
he was like someone bearing a heavy grudge.
But we humans are made of sterner stuff,
we will tough it out and call his bluff;
let him threaten, huff and puff,
he’ll soon sling his hook and be off
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Winter, the Unwelcomed Guest by Isam Hussain )
- what swanky sap is this?, Mandolyn ...
- Natural, David Chap Bottoms
- I end poem, hasmukh amathalal
- here's my armadillo, now get me a pillow.., Mandolyn ...
- A, Vera Sidhwa
- With her ability, hasmukh amathalal
- Inhuman way, hasmukh amathalal
- THERE IS…, michael walkerjohn
- My words, hasmukh amathalal
- Nice ending, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)