Yesterday and Today
Raves and pubs have taken the place
of Big Band music and Ballroom dance.
Senses dulled and deafened by noise,
they court romance, fortified by booze.
Things were different when I was young;
Ballrooms were places of courtship and dance.
Romantic music flowed in ripples and waves
as we danced the Foxtrot, Tango, and Waltz.
Memories flood back of that very first chance,
fingers crossed, I asked, ‘May I have this dance? ’
Oh, the thrill and relief when she said yes;
even greater thrill when we danced so close.
Many such moments would come and go;
I began to wonder if it would always be so.
Pretty girls, pleasant company, but no romance;
then out of the blue came a fateful chance.
I saw her, I didn’t need a second glance,
rushed to ask her, ‘May I have this dance? ’
Somehow I knew her answer would be yes.
And to the Rumba rhythm we danced close.
That evening Cupid shot an arrow,
grazed my heart, wounded it.
I felt a twinge and somehow knew
the thing I felt was something new.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Yesterday and Today by Isam Hussain )
- Unchampioning The Champion, Walter T Rambwi
- What they say!, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Blue, david kush
- A Few Autumn Notes Late October 2014, Daniel Brick
- Ficticious, Nicholas Nikolov
- Love Is Weak, Tony Adah
- Behind the rock of suicide خلف صخرة الان.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The All-knowing God, Dr John Celes
- if i were a day, i'd say, Mandolyn ...
- In bed, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)