They can't put everyone in prison
So they've got us all on Prism.
If you thought we have democracy
Then why do they want to spy on me?
If we have a free society
Why do the powers that be
Want an increase to their power
By watching us all every waking hour?
Why are they so afraid of me
That they feel that they have to see.
Who I talk to and what we say
Every night and every day?
What kind of threat do we pose?
As all the time the monitoring grows.
Are we all seen as the enemy
Of those who control our 'democracy'?
Who are the people who are behind
The gathering of thoughts from the collective mind?
What do they want them for
And will they keep stealing more?
More and more of what I think
Mighty putrid is the stink.
If I live in a land which is free
Then how come I've had this done to me?
And why has all this information
Been sent on from the gathering station?
Yes those lovely folks at GCHQ
Have passed all our life stories to
Another gang of spooks, their mates
At the NSA in the United States.
Now call me stupid or maybe naive
But I think I am right to believe
That I am a citizen of a country called Britain
And I have never seen anything written.
That says that these foreigners have the right
To spy on me by day and night.
So what is happening to our land?
Is there something underhand
Happening, and our fate
Is to become Yankee, the fifty first state?
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Why Spy? by Tom Higgins )
- Fifty Percent, Tom Higgins
- Yamine, Edward Kofi Louis
- I want eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- One More For The Road., Tom Higgins
- We don't accept anything anytime...., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Tread, read!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Against A Stone, Edward Kofi Louis
- Master of Plaster, Tom Higgins
- Tread, thread!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Father Dearest., Tom Higgins
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)