Derek. A. Sim
As I fall to one knee, as I hone my will,
I listen to my heartbeat; the world falls still.
I'm aware of my challengers, I don't look in their eyes,
There is only one winner; there is only one prize.
Relaxing my muscles, I target my mind,
I don't see pretenders, I'll leave them behind.
I feel my blood surge as I prepare for my run.
I'm out of my blocks; like bullet from gun.
My stride becomes longer and lower and yet…
I still hear their feet; I still smell their sweat.
I know they are there and I know what they yearn.
I push myself harder; my muscles now burn.
I reach the halfway mark and now I must find,
That ‘something' that's hidden, deep down in my mind.
My body screams no; you can have no more!
I turn on the power, like never before.
The line now is closing; it burns in my chest.
My training rewarded, I'm still the best.
Derek. A. Sim's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Usain Bolt by Derek. A. Sim )
- wonders, Bull Hawking
- The Bad Woman, Jayeeta Shamsul
- How, Claude H Oliver II
- State of Affairs, Bill Cantrell
- sunshine won't die, Bull Hawking
- Is This The New World, Craig Anderson
- Bells of Harmony, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Bharatheeyakavitha-2, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Into The Black Of Never, Spiritwind Wood
- The Jumbo Roll, Tony Adah
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1886 - 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)