Derek. A. Sim
As I fall to one knee, as I hone my will,
I listen to my heartbeat; the world falls still.
I'm aware of my challengers, I don't look in their eyes,
There is only one winner; there is only one prize.
Relaxing my muscles, I target my mind,
I don't see pretenders, I'll leave them behind.
I feel my blood surge as I prepare for my run.
I'm out of my blocks; like bullet from gun.
My stride becomes longer and lower and yet…
I still hear their feet; I still smell their sweat.
I know they are there and I know what they yearn.
I push myself harder; my muscles now burn.
I reach the halfway mark and now I must find,
That ‘something' that's hidden, deep down in my mind.
My body screams no; you can have no more!
I turn on the power, like never before.
The line now is closing; it burns in my chest.
My training rewarded, I'm still the best.
Derek. A. Sim's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Usain Bolt by Derek. A. Sim )
- Spaces Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Know Why Old People Are Sometimes Very.., Shalom Freedman
- Speaking Loudly, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Sure, Michael McParland
- Into The Air, Robert Eckstein
- Loving you, Jesus James Llorico
- Fly away, Sagrario Garcia
- Killing Me Softly, Electric Lady
- Shh...I'm Hiding, Shrey Anand
- Faith in Christ!, Shaila Touchton
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1927)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)