Tough Streets Of Chicago
Tough streets of Chicago, you made me who I am.
Tough streets of Chicago, for me you had a plan.
You forced me to observe, what kids my age did not.
You taught me to look and see, always looking for a plot.
You taught me to react, and kept me on my toes.
You taught me to examine, the actions of my foes.
You forced me to react, in situations dire.
You made sure I would function, when I came under fire.
You made sure I was tough, made sure I'd understand,
the skills that I would need, when I joined uncle Sam.
Tough streets of Chicago, I almost went insane.
Tough streets of Chicago, you caused me so much pain.
You made me grow up fast, always dodging death.
You made me run from danger, could hardly catch my breath.
You took most of my friends, why, I'll never understand.
You made it possible to count, all my friends on one hand.
You took them in their teens, you took them very young.
You took them way before, to live they had begun.
Tough streets of Chicago, my tour is almost up.
Tough streets of Chicago, with your gangster posting up.
Tough streets of Chicago, can't get you off my mind.
Tough streets of Chicago, I miss those streets of mine.
Tough streets of Chicago...............................
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tough Streets Of Chicago by rico avila )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Jugnoo, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- My Community, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- A Precious Love, Michael P. McParland
- Motherly Love, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- Melancholic Life Span, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- Man Has Dominion, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- A Plea, Michael P. McParland
- Love As Dry As Bone, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- A Million Kisses, Michael P. McParland
- La Belle Dame, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- Indescribable, Mutasem I. Amayreh