Today... 'The Great Light'
Light from heaven much brighter than the sun
brilliantly shines from the Heavenly One
His eyes were glowing as blue as sapphire
and His feet were ablaze like bronze on fire
He’s the One in whom the angels rejoice.
Like the sound of many waters is His voice
The hair on his head is whiter than snow
and He’s dressed in a robe that seems to glow.
Who is this glorious One shining so bright?
The people in darkness have seen His light
Jesus of Nazareth God’s Only Son
The Lord Almighty and The Holy One
(see also the additional information in the Poet's notes box below)
Roy Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
'Land of Zebulun and land of Naphtali,
the way to the sea, along the Jordan,
Galilee of the Gentiles—
the people living in darkness
have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of the shadow of death
a light has dawned.'
From that time on Jesus began to preach, 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.'
All quotations ©NIV
The Bible calls You by many names
each one giving a glimpse of Your glory.
Like a cut diamond radiating in the sun
with every facet depicting a glorious
aspect of Your Divine Nature.
Today I have thought of You as
“The Great Light”
Comments about this poem (Today... 'The Great Light' by Roy Allen )
- At Dannemora Prison, Richard Provencher
- INNOCENT PRISIONER, Enoch Owusu Gyamfi
- Watchman, Pijush Biswas
- Veni, Vidi, Vici. Okay?, Dylan Attard
- We are merely onlookers anytime, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- We are merely onlookers, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Time is Change, Taqueia Brown
- The Very First Days of Autumn, Hebert Logerie
- Red, Nate Crow
- Always wrong, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- First Lesson, Philip Booth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Maya Angelou
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)