M.D Dinesh Nair
When I invite my shadow
To walk with me
He declines and retreats.
He knows about my pathways
Where I search for boulders to walk upon
He says, ' Go alone'.
When I come back
My shadow waits for me at the doorsteps
He dresses up my bleeding feet
And says, ' How do you fee? '
I think at times my dear,
You are a little bigger than me.
My shadow needs no soaring sun
Nor the kindness of a moon.
He denounces only my acts of bravado
I shall set out on a long walk once
On a glade planted with smooth grass
Perhaps he will find it for me.
My shadow has gone to the gate
And he is inviting me this time
You have never before walked in front of me
I see the clouds coloured in white
And reach the gate to go with him.
So go out together once for ever
After me and before me
My shadow now moves like a future ahead
A shadow that wades across my world of smiles
There may be the nod of a god unseen
To go ahead for a little longer.
We shall and shall.
When I won`t exist in tomorrow`s world
What will you do my dear?
In the chambers of heaven unknown
Won`t you walk alone for once?
I am sure it will be thus.
So be it, I pray
M.D Dinesh Nair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (THE WALK by M.D Dinesh Nair )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- How Do I Love Thee?, Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Poem of the Day
- Legendary Nostradamus Prophet, lee fones
- Thomas' Impossible Escape, Susan Wetmore
- Business-like, gajanan mishra
- Why Poetry Is Beautiful, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood Bath, Suresh Dogra
- Her Yes, Suresh Dogra
- Schools place of transformation., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I love the poet for ever, gajanan mishra
- A Shameless Thief, Chris Zachariou
- Our Last Meeting, Soumita Sarkar Ray