M.D Dinesh Nair
When I invite my shadow
To walk with me
He declines and retreats.
He knows about my pathways
Where I search for boulders to walk upon
He says, ' Go alone'.
When I come back
My shadow waits for me at the doorsteps
He dresses up my bleeding feet
And says, ' How do you fee? '
I think at times my dear,
You are a little bigger than me.
My shadow needs no soaring sun
Nor the kindness of a moon.
He denounces only my acts of bravado
I shall set out on a long walk once
On a glade planted with smooth grass
Perhaps he will find it for me.
My shadow has gone to the gate
And he is inviting me this time
You have never before walked in front of me
I see the clouds coloured in white
And reach the gate to go with him.
So go out together once for ever
After me and before me
My shadow now moves like a future ahead
A shadow that wades across my world of smiles
There may be the nod of a god unseen
To go ahead for a little longer.
We shall and shall.
When I won`t exist in tomorrow`s world
What will you do my dear?
In the chambers of heaven unknown
Won`t you walk alone for once?
I am sure it will be thus.
So be it, I pray
M.D Dinesh Nair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (THE WALK by M.D Dinesh Nair )
Did you read them?
- Sailstarred, Sandsifting, Seaweed Script.., Saiom Shriver
- The art of love and affection!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Heaven with the Creator, Althea Marshall Wypyszczak
- Prison diary, Shikdar Waliuzzaman
- Mules, Saiom Shriver
- Abandoned Cocoon, Saiom Shriver
- I would cross, Ruma Chaudhuri
- Sometimes, Mark Webster
- Things of crumbs, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- The Lighthouse, Sarah Liz Bowman
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)