Let me ride the tail
Of the blue-eyed whale,
Use the ocean for a pillow,
While the cobalt sea
On waves that hiss and billow.
Oh, the world heaves up
And the world falls down
While the waves rise up so high -
From their knife edged tip
Green teeth flip
Diamonds into the sky.
The sapphire wind
Herds ragged clouds
To the line at the end of it all,
While the pale moon floats
O'er the wind's wild goats
With a bounce like a ghostly ball.
Deep down below
Where shadows go
With thick snaky arms and teeth.
Great black things
On leathery wings
Move in waters as deadly as Lethe.
But the top of the sea
Makes me see, makes me free
Where the air stings my throat like a blade.
All the gulls tumble by
Through the eye of the sky
In a circus cavalcade.
Jan Sand's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Sea by Jan Sand )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
Emmanuel George Cefai
(12th March 1955)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Russell Edson
(22 March 1941 -)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes, Billy Collins
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Be careful child before you fall, Mark Heathcote
- have it your way homeboy, Mandolyn ...
- Advance New Year 2015 Wishes (in a pessi.., Dr John Celes
- B. Day, Nassy Fesharaki
- shape shift this, my fearless phantom, Mandolyn ...
- Dear Dad ..... [a PARODY; HUMOR; SHORT; .., Bri Edwards
- Just Sex..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- It's Not About Science, Just Satellites..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Woman And Time..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Firmament, Margaret Ann Newcomb