The Funny Old Man
There was an old man who was lonely and grim
And excessively technically minded.
He lived with a cat and an owl that was fat
And a fancy new clock. He=d designed it.
Every hour it rang with a click and a bang
And was good for cooking up noodles.
While down deep inside it secretly fried
Sardines for wandering poodles.
Now poodles can be, as you really can see,
A difficult problem to deal with.
They=d walk in the gate, proliferate,
And snuffle their noses to feel with.
They=d chew up your shoes,
Which does not amuse
When you need them for running and walking.
So the old man decided that when they=d collided
With furniture, floor lamps and footstools,
He=d chase them all out with a stomp and a shout
For not obeying his house rules.
He started his cry, when the sardines did fry
And the poodles, they yipped and ignored him.
They slavered for fish which popped out on a dish
And they ran as a pack and they floored him.
He sat up with a grin as they gobbled the fish
>Cause they looked to him crazy and foolish.
And, he said AHey, I=ll let them stay.
I may be old but not mulish.”
So they live there OK, in their own cockeyed way,
The owl, the cat and the poodles
And the funny old man who eats, when he can,
A rather large plate of cooked noodles
Jan Sand's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Funny Old Man by Jan Sand )
- debris, oskar hansen
- Les Éventails, Portraits of Passion, Nathalie Handal
- The Hooked & Crooked Men As The Communis.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Star chat........., SALINI NAIR
- Chicane, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Just A Few Simple Words, Electric Lady
- Pen And Pun Of It, Rites Ghosh
- Be One, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- POITIERS AND BEYOND., Terry Collett
- Jadavpur Universiy Campus Turf, Romeo An.., Bijay Kant Dubey
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Carpe Diem, William Shakespeare
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)