Pullin' stickers from his hide
That cowboy cussed his horse
"Damned old mare just blowed right up
Don't know what that source."
Mad as hell and full of dust
He limped on down the road
That horse of his just looked on back
No way that she'd be rode
Each time she come within' his reach
Step out and off she'd go
Just a ways ahead of him
Teasin' don't ya know
"Com'on back, don't do this now!
You damned OLD REPRO BAIT
Rover's dog food is what you'll be
That's bound to be yer fate! "
An hour passed and lots of space
Was covered by those two
He'd get close and off she'd go
None of this brand new.
` Bout half way home his damn sore feet
He sat down by a tree
That horse was off away from him
Lookin' back to see
Was mid-day now, the shade was cool
Decided "What the hell, I'll rest my bones
And cool off here, Sleep fer just a spell."
Don't give a damn ` bout you horse
"I'll let you walk on home
Won't get no grain from me tonight! "
You'll stand there all alone
Now, asleep fast and deep ya see
That cowboy snoozed away
His horse stepped as he snored
To her it was just play!
A sudden shook had wakin' him up
His hat was gone from his face
Was in the mouth of that old horse
And down the road she RACED!
Kendra Tyler's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Race by Kendra Tyler )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(August 5, 1934)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Matilda Who told Lies, and was Burned to.., Hilaire Belloc
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Snail I am, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Seurat, Ira Sadoff
- An Old Love, David Lewis Paget
- Social Awkwardness, Emily Liang
- Ode to My Hands, Tim Seibles
- Ode on My Episiotomy, Kimberly Johnson
- Teaghlach (Family), Ewen Morrison
- love so pure, love so true, kat tommany
- THE MIDDLE GROUND, Satish Verma
- bonds of friendship, kat tommany