Pullin' stickers from his hide
That cowboy cussed his horse
"Damned old mare just blowed right up
Don't know what that source."
Mad as hell and full of dust
He limped on down the road
That horse of his just looked on back
No way that she'd be rode
Each time she come within' his reach
Step out and off she'd go
Just a ways ahead of him
Teasin' don't ya know
"Com'on back, don't do this now!
You damned OLD REPRO BAIT
Rover's dog food is what you'll be
That's bound to be yer fate! "
An hour passed and lots of space
Was covered by those two
He'd get close and off she'd go
None of this brand new.
` Bout half way home his damn sore feet
He sat down by a tree
That horse was off away from him
Lookin' back to see
Was mid-day now, the shade was cool
Decided "What the hell, I'll rest my bones
And cool off here, Sleep fer just a spell."
Don't give a damn ` bout you horse
"I'll let you walk on home
Won't get no grain from me tonight! "
You'll stand there all alone
Now, asleep fast and deep ya see
That cowboy snoozed away
His horse stepped as he snored
To her it was just play!
A sudden shook had wakin' him up
His hat was gone from his face
Was in the mouth of that old horse
And down the road she RACED!
Kendra Tyler's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Race by Kendra Tyler )
- What A Wondrous Thing, Joshua Chuhran
- Falling Doves, Joshua Chuhran
- The Simple Life, Nate Morris
- To touch a star is to be touch by the st.., Raymond Sawyer
- A Prayer For Self Identity, Maurice Harris
- throwing sticks at the stars, Mandolyn ...
- For the Love of Poetry, Sandra Feldman
- The stars that whisper the name Star Buc.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Universe Of True Love, Poetic Lilly Emery
- A Halloween Haiku, Thomas Koron
Poem of the Day
- How to Write the Great American Indian N.., Sherman Alexie
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(15 September 1889 – 22 May 1948)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)