The Golden Hour
So finally the Olympic flame is snuffed.
Two weeks of stress, joy, sweat and tears,
Four years of training hard, rewarded well
Upon the track, the field, on wheels
And on the water.
Success for Team GB.
The expectation and extreme emotion,
Superlatives and athletes exhausted.
The richest vein was mined on Saturday:
Triple gold in five and forty minutes.
So proud a moment - Greg and Mo and Jessica,
Three golden children of Britannia.
Heroes now glorified on postage stamps.
Such sweet success; we're striving not to wallow,
But yet, for Rio, what an act to follow!
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Golden Hour by William Messent )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Chasing Rainbows, Rachel Nichols
- Rasta bhoole nahi thhe, ANJALI KAKATI
- Without Purpose Or Reason Affixed, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- The Baobab Tree, I Am Krakatoa
- Game of chance, Aftab Alam
- 'Tween Love and Hatred,, Aftab Alam
- Life alright, hasmukh amathalal
- A Child Is Like A Flowering Rose, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Only one...1, hasmukh amathalal
- Caring For A Lonely Heart, Joseph T. Renaldi