Thank You, Father
Fathers hold you when you have bad dreams
And they comfort you when all is lost it seems.
Fathers teach you to dribble a basketball and shoot a free throw
And they lead you as you grow.
Fathers teach you how to drive a car
And they try to teach you how to putt for par.
Fathers wipe the tears of your broken heart
And they hold your hand when you don't know how to start.
Fathers quiz the boys who take you on a date
And they scold those boys who bring you home late.
Fathers carry you on their shoulders when you're too small to see
And they watch as you giggle when they bounce you on their knee.
Fathers extend their feet to you when they teach you how to dance
And they always give you a second chance.
Fathers wait in the wings while you start your own life
And they pray for a husband to make you a wife.
Fathers walk you down the aisle on your wedding day
But fathers never really give their little girls away.
Mahfooz Ali's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Thank You, Father by Mahfooz Ali )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Let Her Know How You Feel About Her, Ronell Warren Alman
- Dreams, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Expression Eruption: An artillery call, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Biochemistry II, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- farm this, Mandolyn ...
- A Chat By Brothers, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Smith of Words, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Past IT' is, george albot
- WILD FLOWERS ARE PRETTY FLOWERS ANYTIME, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- WILD FLOWERS ARE PRETTY FLOWERS, MOHAMMAD SKATI