Start, stop, start.
Brush of a touch,
Hint of a hand
You weren’t supposed to do that.
Furtive, sideways glance
Orbit the party
Avoid the pull
Empty kitchen escape.
Your voice outside
Too close to stop
Heart won’t let legs run.
Behind the door
Face to face
Eyes break all the rules.
Same you same me
Cathy and Heathcliffe kiss
Did we plan this
Face the crowd,
From lover back to friend
New line, new sand
We weren’t supposed to do that.
© Jayne Downing
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Start, stop, start. by Jayne Downing )
- His Voice, Rani Turton
- Love Me Tender, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Limerick-10, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Beautiful You, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Limerick-9, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Don't Walk With Your Eyes Closed, Edmund Harborer
- The earth and the sky, gajanan mishra
- My angel, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Just Another Avenue., Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Prisoner's Song, Tony Adah
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(600 - 670)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)