Sonnet Beyond Love
Forever in the caverns of my heart
Roam spirits of the loves I leave behind.
Ever will the echo of their touch
Leave patterns of their footsteps in my mind.
With nicks from many partings in the past
Ever will those cavern walls be lined.
Drops of mem'ry build stalagmites of the cast
Of actors in my theater of time.
Ever have my footsteps shunned the paths
That lead to those whose touch have been unkind.
Remnants of the folly of my wraths
Throw up the rocks where painful pathways wind.
Beyond a love is one that shares the pain
To clear the rubble from those paths again.
*Note how the first eight lines carry a theme and the subtle reversal of theme in the last six lines; an option of sonnets that is little known and all too often ignored.
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sonnet Beyond Love by Adeline Foster )
- Migrants Plight, Paul Sebastian
- Sharing Moments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Human in art, hasmukh amathalal
- Legacy Of Goodness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Snowflakes, Wani Rahil
- Moments That Never Were, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- TREASURE ISLAND: Overall Statistics, Frank Avon
- Poet's mind, hasmukh amathalal
- Senses Flavorful Sounds, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Behind everything, SALINI NAIR
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- City That Does Not Sleep, Federico García Lorca
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
(July 15 1964)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Heather Burns