Songs of the Old Gardener
He scared the shit out of me
as he stretched his hands in invitation
and I would cry like hell
no no no........
The old gardener in between his toils
would come to our house for a glass of water
his thirst quenched would sing to me
baby I mean no harm no harm
come to me with love baby come to my arm
will take you on my shoulder
fetch you god's boon
will steal the stars for you
on your forehead paint the moon!
come baby just for once I really mean no harm
this heart longs for your silken touch
your caress tender warm
will fly you to the land of moon
lift you on feathered wings
fetch for you the god's boon
treasures of the seven kings!
my heart aches for you baby
my love rides high tide
in my arms be ever with me
don't from me go hide
will bring you the season's first shower
on your palm the morning dew
pluck for you the most fragrant flower
the arch of rainbow hue!
When I close my eyes can still hear
a child's no no no
and regret was lost in his fear
from a broken heart love's flow.
It was not till I had grown in years
and the gardener was long gone
mother told me he showered me cares
for I reminded him of his son.
Pradip Chattopadhyay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Songs of the Old Gardener by Pradip Chattopadhyay )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1923 - 1998)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS, Eugene W. Miller
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Tonight at Noon (for Charles Mingus and .., Adrian Henri
Poem of the Day
- Toll of human safety., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I am not ready to say I am unfortunate, gajanan mishra
- Yesterday's Snow, Marilyn Lott
- Ego, Denise Duhamel
- Life and Heaven, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Rain Song, Khaled Mattawa
- Childhood Stories, Matthew Rohrer
- Christmas, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- My Pretty Rose Tree, Luo Zhihai
- What the Body Told, Rafael Campo