Rites Of The Seventh Month
Monument of July,
The pluvial chapter of life...
O July of enfeebled yolk,
Dispenser of splendour of sempervirence,
God has watered your tongue.
Therefore, pour, July, pour
The essence of life,
The grit of living
Unto the bosom of the
Seventh month and other
Months of parturition.
Let us conceive in July,
To bear in good season,
Sons of courage...
Wearing festal garments
And adorning our heads with sepia cloths,
This shall reinforce hope.
In front of the monument of July,
(A slouching image of sleepy rain)
Right on its wet feet,
Shall we bless the earth abundantly.
Bearer of thirty-one offspring,
Male and female, dew and fog,
So full of grains of years,
Frenzied and dancing your rites
Together with the age of insistent youth!
Middle age is when neither youth nor old age
Finds you worthy...
The perception of the pristine green
Aroma of July
Is often the first of the rites
Of the seventh month.
Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
Comments about this poem (Rites Of The Seventh Month by Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu )
- You're The Best..., Almedia Knight Oliver
- Only In My Dreams (Regional Korea), Ronald Chapman
- Being Realistic, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Countless tears., Marcondes Pereira
- Unrest Soul: Dark minds, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- me &the dragon, gordon nosworthy
- A Free Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dissolved, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Go boothward young doves, moez meftah
- To Someone Special On Poemhunter, Electric Lady
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)