Rites Of The Seventh Month
Monument of July,
The pluvial chapter of life...
O July of enfeebled yolk,
Dispenser of splendour of sempervirence,
God has watered your tongue.
Therefore, pour, July, pour
The essence of life,
The grit of living
Unto the bosom of the
Seventh month and other
Months of parturition.
Let us conceive in July,
To bear in good season,
Sons of courage...
Wearing festal garments
And adorning our heads with sepia cloths,
This shall reinforce hope.
In front of the monument of July,
(A slouching image of sleepy rain)
Right on its wet feet,
Shall we bless the earth abundantly.
Bearer of thirty-one offspring,
Male and female, dew and fog,
So full of grains of years,
Frenzied and dancing your rites
Together with the age of insistent youth!
Middle age is when neither youth nor old age
Finds you worthy...
The perception of the pristine green
Aroma of July
Is often the first of the rites
Of the seventh month.
Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
Comments about this poem (Rites Of The Seventh Month by Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu )
- थिरिँ बिरिँ x5, Ronjoy Brahma
- Come Come, Tango Tango
- God Teaches Geology (M-F), Mr. Nobody
- I am Running Faster, Akhtar Jawad
- (समनि नायथाय) गुफुर उखुन्दैनि खुवाया, Ronjoy Brahma
- Alien Encounter, Robert Eckstein
- >>Bad Fruits, Abdul Wahab
- When You Need To Begin Again, Shalom Freedman
- >>Lips, Abdul Wahab
- Acknowledged Love, Sierra Staten
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)