Rites Of The Seventh Month
Monument of July,
The pluvial chapter of life...
O July of enfeebled yolk,
Dispenser of splendour of sempervirence,
God has watered your tongue.
Therefore, pour, July, pour
The essence of life,
The grit of living
Unto the bosom of the
Seventh month and other
Months of parturition.
Let us conceive in July,
To bear in good season,
Sons of courage...
Wearing festal garments
And adorning our heads with sepia cloths,
This shall reinforce hope.
In front of the monument of July,
(A slouching image of sleepy rain)
Right on its wet feet,
Shall we bless the earth abundantly.
Bearer of thirty-one offspring,
Male and female, dew and fog,
So full of grains of years,
Frenzied and dancing your rites
Together with the age of insistent youth!
Middle age is when neither youth nor old age
Finds you worthy...
The perception of the pristine green
Aroma of July
Is often the first of the rites
Of the seventh month.
Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
Comments about this poem (Rites Of The Seventh Month by Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu )
- Painting Tomorrow, Cathy Hodgson
- Silence of the Snow, Arrianna Prentiss
- Don't ever in public, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
- Somewhere in time, Mark Heathcote
- The wind brings warning, xeno drone
- My nature is to write, gajanan mishra
- Two Rings, Shannon Paterson
- Dreams Incarnate, Dylan Engelbrecht
- The Rose, Neela Nath
- No one to question, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)