For the past year,
Been readin' through,
All the e-mails
we wrote to each other
Some were well remembered
Some, welcome surprises
As you no doubt surmised,
It became part of my routine
A cherished ritual
After checkin' e-mail,
And right before
The Writer's Almanac
Each day, opened
an email from that day,
from each year since we met
How good it's been
to have your voice
inside my head
Today is the full circle point
The last one has been read
Had not thought of the day
When I would reach the end
Alas, now what?
Oh my, what now?
Start over and read them again?
It helps but then,
it does not help
Keep the pang close
or bury it?
Perhaps, time to move on?
that which cannot be held
what cannot be wanted
To wish for that
which cannot be
Reached into my desk drawer
Pulled out the handwritten
note that you wrote
to me in French
Held it and stared
Read it again
The scent of your perfume,
The pain of bein' without you,
What else is there?
What else remains?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
© 2013 Cowboy Coleridge All rights reserved
Comments about this poem (Remains by MacGregor Tagliaferro )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
Poem of the Day
- Thoughts While Waiting in the ER, Donal Mahoney
- Graduate school first semester: so here .., Cheryl Savageau
- Toll of human safety., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I am not ready to say I am unfortunate, gajanan mishra
- Yesterday's Snow, Marilyn Lott
- Ego, Denise Duhamel
- Life and Heaven, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Rain Song, Khaled Mattawa
- Childhood Stories, Matthew Rohrer
- Christmas, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..