Pomp and Circumstance-Richard Cahill
Oh what Pomp and Circumstance
in what I saw today.
I visited Buckingham Palace
and slowly maneuvered my way
as close as I could get.
And right in front of the central gate
there was someone special I met.
Not the Queen or the Prince
but a British Constable
who was doing his job of clearing the way
in a manner so refined.
His name was Richard Cahill.
Doing this work for a year and a half
he repeated these phrases over and again.
'Move over, keep walking, C'mon this is the way'
with more regularity than Big Ben.
And still Richard found the time
to be pleasant to those that spoke with him.
One of those was myself, a poet from the USA.
He memorized my name while still alert on the job.
So I dedicate this poem I'm writing and
I can honestly say.
'Richard, my friend, I'll remember visiting
Buckingham Palace mostly because of you.
All that Pomp and Circumstance occurs smoothly
because of the great job you do.
Edwina Reizer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Pomp and Circumstance-Richard Cahill by Edwina Reizer )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- How Do I Love Thee?, Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Poem of the Day
- Legendary Nostradamus Prophet, lee fones
- Thomas' Impossible Escape, Susan Wetmore
- Business-like, gajanan mishra
- Why Poetry Is Beautiful, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood Bath, Suresh Dogra
- Her Yes, Suresh Dogra
- Schools place of transformation., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I love the poet for ever, gajanan mishra
- A Shameless Thief, Chris Zachariou
- Our Last Meeting, Soumita Sarkar Ray