Joseph James Breunig 3rd
Poem: Upon this Altar
O my Lord, help me with my request:
Set up Your permanent altar in my life.
Form the foundation of this altar,
with the unhewn rock of my stony heart,
since it represents the many hardships
of lack-luster, life experiences.
Organize these mundane rock fragments,
in a manner that is pleasing to You.
With this personal and secret platform,
I desire to commune with Thee frequently,
for it's not for religious show or ceremony.
For my heart is still sacred territory,
not to be shared with the vain things,
that keep us needlessly separated.
And lastly Lord, I humbly ask that You
anoint this altar with the consecrated oil
of the Holy Spirit's presence,
so that my life… remains faithful.
Loosely based on:
Eze 11: 19-20,36: 25-29a; Psa 73: 25-26; Prov 23: 15
Learn more about me and my poetry at:
By Joseph J. Breunig 3rd, © 2013, All rights reserved.
Joseph James Breunig 3rd's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Poem: Upon this Altar by Joseph James Breunig 3rd )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou