Plants Eat Elephants
"Don't be silly", said the Engineer.
"Plants don't eat elephants".
"Yes, they do", said the Turtle.
"No", said the Engineer,
"It's the other way around,
Elephants eat plants."
"Both assertions are correct."
The engineer scratched
his head Incredulously.
"I can't believe my ears", he said,
"You must be kidding."
"No. I ‘m utterly serious",
said the Turtle.
"Then you owe me a rational
"You think that I'm delusional
because your thinking
Is linear, whereas mine cyclical, "
said the Turtle.
"What do you mean? "
"Well, nature recycles life."
"I know that", the Engineer said.
The Turtle smiled.
"Then you also understand",
he said, "that as elephants die,
they decay Into the soil and
the nutrients of their bodies
nourish seeds that sprout into
plants, which in turn
the elephants will eat."
Paul Hartal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Plants Eat Elephants by Paul Hartal )
- Yellow Lake, Kazuko Shiraishi
- IF only I were A Dove!, FOEVERAMI JOHNSON
- Gust, Kazuko Shiraishi
- Hunger, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- My Tokyo, Kazuko Shiraishi
- We fall....TO RISE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- LOSS....MANY, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Alchemies, Aleda Shirley
- LAST SONG, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- ETERNAL LOVE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(24 October 1923 – 20 December 1997)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)