Democracy vs. Dictatorship
The kangaroo ordered an orange juice.
The crocodile preferred a cup of coffee.
Holding the Party Paper, Edition Zoo,
The hyena opted for his downy dream,
A white vanilla ice cream.
“The president is corrupt and wicked
And his whole bungling government,
Is reprobate and totally incompetent.
They should resign without delay”,
Said the kangaroo.
“Well, perhaps he exaggerated,
But as long ago Voltaire stated,
'I disagree with what you say,
But I will defend to the death your right
To say it’”, uttered the crocodile.
“Although it seems suiting his profile
Voltaire did not say this”,
objected the kangaroo.
“The quote is in the air
And it is fair to attribute it to Voltaire’,
insisted the crocodile.
‘I don’t care’, said the kangaroo.
‘Voltaire did not say this’.
The hyena took a lick of his ice cream
And then, folding the Party Paper
Of the Zoo,
With a menacing countenance
He turned to the kangaroo.
“Now listen carefully”, he said,
“You can buy in the market onions
But I dislike your political opinions.
And even if I had agreed with you,
I would make it sure
That nobody can hear you.”
Paul Hartal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Democracy vs. Dictatorship by Paul Hartal )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- One Law To Rule Them All?, Terence G. Craddock
- A Maori Prince Immune From Convictions, Terence G. Craddock
- Step Back!, Monk E. Biz
- Sajak Hening Buat Franky Sahilatua (Indo.., Imam Setiaji Ronoatmojo
- Love Your Neighbor, Roxanne Dubarry
- Hidden Voice, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Francine, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- The face of a young woman in pink, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- Segundas/Sobre reudas, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- Snail Talk for Rosemary, Daniel Brick